Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-01-24, 08:43

Default Searching for birth of Cyril Reel

Hi , firstly Happy New year to all . I am searching for a birth of a cyril Reel a eleanor B Reel or a Doris May Reel .for a relative in aus . He is part of her and my husbands tree . All i have to go on at the moment is the 1939 register . For Marlbrough and Ramsbury . I have had a look at this , but i'm not sure if the surname is Reel and not Peel ? so if someone could have a look and give me their view i would be grateful as it looks like Peel to me . But Cyril was born in 1890 according to the register location not known Eleanor in 1890 and Doris May in 1914 . It says cyril is the steward of the Hostel , around the area . and the others domestics / cooks etc . Doris Mays surname is crossed with clark written in . I would love some help with this puzzler . Cyril is in east africa Having a child in 1927 with Whilamina Muller , child Erna Mina Muller . if this is the same person , So he must leave africa at some point I cant check passenger lists etc as my ancestry sub is only uk and not worldwide . Any help would be gratefully received thanks ps i tried to look up where the Hostel was etc .
but as yet have not found anything . Thanks
Old 02-01-24, 09:22
Administrator

It is Peel - compare the initial letter with the initial letter of Perkins a few lines down. Also there is the marriage of a Doris M Peel to Arthur W Clark in 1940 in Marlborough.

Is your Cyril (the one who was in East Africa in 1927) definitely a Reel? If so then the one on the 1939 Register isn't him.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-01-24, 09:28
Administrator

Also, if you were searching passenger lists for people arriving in the UK, they would be included in a "premium" UK sub ("All UK & Ireland records") but not an "essentials" one ("UK Records only").

Old 02-01-24, 10:07

This seems likely -

M MQ 1914 Sheffield 9c 736
Cyril Peel to Eleanor B Jackson

Followed by

Birth SQ 1914 Sheffield 9c 1458
Doris May Peel. Mmn Jackson

OC

Last edited by Olde Crone; 02-01-24 at 10:47. Reason: Added
Old 02-01-24, 10:34

A bit more - SPECULATIVE! Needs checking with census, certs etc.

Marriages - SQ 1890 Sheffield 9c 478

Arthur Jackson to
Jane Barber.

Birth - 1890 SQ Sheffield
Eleanor Barber Jackson, mmn Barber.

Even more speculative -

Marriage 1865 DQ Sheffield 9c 408

John Peel to
Mary Ann Perkins.

The trouble with this one (Cyril) is that he was born after 25 years of marriage, not impossible of course, but a bit suspicious.

Cyril Peel mmn Perkins
JQ 1890 9c 442

OC
Old 02-01-24, 11:33

Hi Kite , i thought the name looked like Peel not Reel . and the marriage of Doris would fit as you have said . So i will have to go back to their tree as it throws a lot of their info into doubt , im sure ive seen somewhere on the tree that Cyril was the brother of a Basil Reel a famous or infamous hunter in tanzania . But the cyril reel on the 1939 census may have no relevance to them . Thanks
Old 02-01-24, 11:53

Hi according to the tree the father of Cyril Reel was arthur george watkins Reel born in Bombay in 1866. I cant see Basil Reel on there , but it suggests he's a brother of cyril . and he was a famous hunter in Tanzania which i found on Google . I know Whilamina muller was living in Tanzania , and Erna was definetly born in tanzania so that part is correct . Whether the Cyril On the 1939 reg is the correct person ,is looking a little bit dubious .? There are a few military records for the father , which i havent looked at yet , but will do that. Because i haven't a world wide sub I cant check everything . thanks
Old 02-01-24, 12:09
Administrator

So the Cyril who you are looking into is definitely Cyril Reel, and therefore not the person who you found on the 1939 Register.

Old 02-01-24, 12:10
Administrator

Arthur George Watkins Reel was born in Bombay 12th Oct 1866, parents John Henry Robert and Caroline Reel (FMP British India Office Births & Baptisms).

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-01-24, 12:11
Administrator

There's a marriage for him 01 May 1890 to Millicent Mabel Maud Waite also in Bombay.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010