Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-03-22, 09:13

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...172&cc=1827268

Could someone please tell me the word to the left of John Barrass's name. He was baptised 13th July 1830. I don't think it's Mulatto.
Old 03-03-22, 09:17
Administrator

Mestee.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...english/mestee

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-03-22, 09:21

Thanks, Kate. I didn't know there were so many names for mixed-race children.

I wonder if he is connected to Ann's father John Barrass.
I wish they would put the father's name.
Old 15-01-24, 12:57

Smile Also searching for Ann Barrass (Jamaica)

Hi all (sorry I'm a bit late to the party).

I'm also searching for this Ann and reading through the thread so far, I was extremely familiar with all the references you mentioned, including the Baptism records.

Funnily enough, I'm waiting for the marriage certificate to arrive that you refer to here. Perhaps there won't be much more information to find (but it's a nice artefact to hang on to, I guess!)

My main questions at the moment are:

1) how/when did she travel back to the UK? I've heard rumours of Dover (1837) but no proof of this.

2) Who did she travel with? (Not neccessarily John Barass) .... there was an old rumour in our family that she travelled back "with a Governess".

3) Was her father (John Barrass) also from the Newcastle area? It seems likely, but not guaranteed.

4) As part of solving the above, trying to establish where she was based. Current best estimate is St James Parish (and there are clues to the location in the Baptism record)

The fact that she was "white by law" seems to suggest that she was the daughter of a white british person who was able to secure the 'Private Act' and who presumably was "coming home" when they travelled back to the UK.

I'd love to understand if any of you have any further information on this (since previous posts in 2022).
Old 15-01-24, 13:26

It's good to find another person researching this family.

This is a tree I'm doing for a family member and isn't my family. I haven't done any further research since I posted this thread.

Are you a descendant of Thomas Mole and Ann Barrass?
Old 15-01-24, 13:38

Is this Ann Barras' father, John?

Death
BARRASS, JOHN 81
GRO Reference: 1871 J Quarter in TYNEMOUTH Volume 10B Page 156

Online trees say it is.

Edit: This man was a coal miner. The informant was Eleanor Barrass, no relationship given.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 15-01-24 at 13:54.
Old 19-01-24, 21:54

ElizabethHerts

That's very interesting indeed, although in my mind that doesn't add up with the marriage cert which we known states that he's a Clerk. Also based on the handwriting being the same for all parties and that Ann simply signs with an 'x', it might indicate that neither of them could read/write (also given that Thomas Mole was a plasterer and his father, John Mole, was a gardener). If this is the case, then it's plausible that the surname of BARRAS was misspelt as BARRASS (with two S's).

It would be great to understand where the above-mentioned link is. Could you forward it, if you still have it?
Old 19-01-24, 22:51
Administrator

Surnames didn't have fixed spellings in those days, so Barrass wouldn't be a misspelling of Barras.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-01-24, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsstks View Post
ElizabethHerts

That's very interesting indeed, although in my mind that doesn't add up with the marriage cert which we known states that he's a Clerk. Also based on the handwriting being the same for all parties and that Ann simply signs with an 'x', it might indicate that neither of them could read/write (also given that Thomas Mole was a plasterer and his father, John Mole, was a gardener). If this is the case, then it's plausible that the surname of BARRAS was misspelt as BARRASS (with two S's).

It would be great to understand where the above-mentioned link is. Could you forward it, if you still have it?
Other people's trees have this death assigned to John Barrass but I don't think it is, precisely because of the difference in occupation. Barras(s) is a relatively common name in the area.
Old 20-01-24, 08:12

I bought the digital image of the death registration of John Barrass for £2.50 from the GRO.