Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 09-06-13, 11:56
tenterfieldjulie

There it was ... sitting under my nose .. for years I looked for a link ... then you found it tentatively in 2011 and then recently .. but this confirms it .. from Trove (National Library Database)
Saturday 18 July 1896 - MARRIAGE - McDONAGH-O'CONNOR. - July 1, at St Benedict's Church Sydney, by the Rev. Father Carol, Matthew Patrick, second son of John McDonagh, Co. Sligo, Ireland, to Ellen, third daughter of Patrick O'Connor, Glenastas, Co. Limerick, Ireland.

Glenastas should read Glenastar and it is a townland not far from Ardagh ... so we know for sure we have the right O'Connor's. she is the third daughter which would fit in with the 11 children on the 1911 Census and 2 children would fit in the gap between the 1858 marriage and before Ellen the first one found .. I trolled through Famsearch today without putting any surname in and they aren't there so either the register hasn't been transcribed or it was lost...

I found sometime back this info on Connor/O'Connor web page and have tried contacting the owner but he hasn't responded.

Name: Catherine, (Katie); Parents Patrick O'Connor, Bridget Kenneally; Born 1868 Glenaster, Ardath, Co Limerick; Married Cornelius Toohy (Tuohey); left Plymouth 1868 to Sydney AU; Died 1952 Carlton, Sydney AU;sis-Bridget; m 1891 Sydney, 11 chld b 1892-1912, owned dairies in Bexley & Carlton.

It is obvious a typing error re the date she left Plymouth, as she was born in 1868, but she was married in 1891 and so I am thinking that it should read 1888. Can anyone find her on a ship in 1888. I think both Bridget and Ellen her sisters and Mathew McDonagh should be on the same ship. Thanks Julie

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 16-01-14 at 20:32.
Old 09-06-13, 12:55
Administrator

In the NSW Assisted Passenger Lists on ancestry, the Port Pirie 17 Sep 1886:
O'Connor Bridget 22 Domestic
Catherine 16 Domestic
The other columns are really hard to make out but I think it says 2 Sisters for Relations in Colony. I can't read the birthplace but it could end with a k so could be Limerick.
ancestry passenger list

Luckily there is another version of the list which is actually legible and it does say Limerick . Religion RC, able to read or write yes.
Ancestry passenger list 2

Also listed in the unassisted passenger lists:
unassisted passenger list

I can't find Ellen or Matthew on this ship.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 09-06-13 at 13:13. Reason: expand on the Sisters part
Old 09-06-13, 13:00
Administrator

Ooh, Bridget and Catherine are listed in the "immigration deposit journal" for Oct 1885 - deposit paid by Margaret Heffern, 21 Albion Street, Sydney.
immigration deposit journal ancestry

Old 09-06-13, 13:05
tenterfieldjulie

Wow Kate that is great. I wonder who Margaret is? .. ooh this is great.
I only know a family story that Mathew met Ellen on the ship, so they might have come out later. It always puzzles me that Ellen on her marriage cert said lady .. which doesn't sort of fit ... also that her family didn't think Matthew was good enough. Family stories!!
Old 09-06-13, 13:12
Administrator

Hmm, there is an immigration deposit entry in Apr 1882 by a Bridget O'Connor for Annie O'Connor 24 born Ballylanders and Ellen O'Connor 17 born Co Limerick, both domestic servants, reference person Mrs M Martin of Ballylanders, arrived on the Ellora 6 Jun 1883.
Immigration Deposit Journal It doesn't give the depositor's address on this page, unfortunately, oh but then on the passenger list Bridget is her sister in Sydney and her parents are dead, so this isn't the right Ellen.

Okay, the Abergeldie arriving 6 Jul 1884: O'Connor Ann 25 and Ellen 20, both born Limerick, both RC and able to read or write.
assisted passenger list
This is the other version of the list but again the other columns are difficult to make out:
passenger list

Old 09-06-13, 13:14
Administrator

I've edited my post #22 to explain that the "Sisters" on the passenger list is for Relations in the Colony, so it would fit if Ann and Ellen went over first and then Bridget and Catherine went to join them.

Old 09-06-13, 13:17
Administrator

I can't find Matthew McDonagh on the Abergeldie.

Old 09-06-13, 13:23
tenterfieldjulie

I think you are right .. Ellen's age is right and Ann could be the unknown older sister.
Maybe the family story is wrong and they didn't meet on the ship out.
I always thought that Mathew could have come out with a cousin surname Finn.. they both came out to work for one of their mother's brothers called Matthew Finn who never married and had property at Ben Lomond in the Northern Tablelands of NSW
Old 09-06-13, 13:30
Administrator

Did we ever find a birth for the sister Bridget? I'm wondering whether she was also older than Ellen.

Old 09-06-13, 13:35
tenterfieldjulie

No we didn't find her birth. Was there an age for her on the immigration?