Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Four 6xGreat-Grandparents

Old 07-02-15, 21:31

Default Joseph Moore MMMMFMFF

I don't have much to go on here - mostly from articles on the history of Great Oakley by Richard Moore-Colyer

Joseph Moore born around 1725 ? at Great Oakley, Northamptonshire, died 1791 at Great Oakley Northamptonshire

Father - Jonathon Moore

The Land and People of Northamptonshire: a case study of Great Oakley

"Testamentary and other documentary material upholds the view that despite the absence of legal security of tenure, farms held at will in Great Oakley tended to remain within the occupation of a single family for several generations. Jonathon Moore, who held the 20-acre Robinson’s Close in 1759 was succeeded by his son Joseph who left his farming stock to his son Joseph when he died in 1791. In turn, Joseph’s son Jonathon took on the tenancy of a 156 acre farm, which continued to be occupied by family members until the death of an unmarried descendent in 1904. "

"Despite being almost entirely owned by a churchman landowner, there was a strong tradition of nonconformity in Great Oakley".

His son Joseph Moore and wife Elizabeth were noted in Dr Fullers records for the Baptist Chapel in Kettering as grandparents of Benjamin and Elizabeth Houghton
I did not post son Joseph, as I did not have his name but here is link to grand-daughter Elizabeth Moore: http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...lizabeth+moore

Last edited by marquette; 07-02-15 at 21:34.
Old 08-02-15, 06:24

I also found this entry in the Non-conformist Registers on ancestry which shows that the Moores were known to the Baptist community in Kettering

Emma Houghton, daughter of William Hougthon of Pythchley, stonecutter, and Elizabeth his wife who was the daughter of William and Elizabeth Moore of Great Oakley, was born 22 day of Dec 1810, Registered 2 Jun 1814. R K Hall
Old 08-02-15, 22:40

I have some Northants transcriptions, but I can't find a lot for this family.

There's a burial for Jonathan Moore on 29 April 1778 in Great Oakley (C of E church).

There are also three C of E baptisms in Great Oakley for children of Jonathan & Sarah Moor(e): Sarah in 1743, William in 1745 and Eleanor in 1747. Can't see a marriage for Jonathan and Sarah.

I can't see a burial anywhere for Joseph in 1791, or a baptism for him (the records I have go back to 1700).
Old 09-02-15, 10:31

Thanks for those Mary.

I have a date of 26 Oct 1791 for Joseph, but nothing for Joseph Junior. That came from the NBI but there are not many there. There's Jonathon with the same date and a Sarah in 1740, not the wife or daughter of Jonathon, obviously.

I am struggling to find any records on familysearch or anywhere else - ancestry has the non-conformist "Baptisms" but no marriages, nothing in freeReg for Great Oakley.

There's a tree on ancestry that has only one Joseph, so I am wondering if Mr Moore-Colyer hasn't doubled up the Josephs.

We are getting back the very early parish records and its really easy to make a mistake and connect entries in the parish registers.

edit to say, I do think there were two Josephs, one who died in 1791 and one who was alive when the entries were written by Dr Fuller, or they might have been written differently.

Last edited by marquette; 10-02-15 at 07:52.

Tags
tf6g6