Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 11-06-11, 10:51
Administrator

If you can get a copy of the marriage register entry for Daniel and Ann's marriage it might give you some more clues. Also I keep meaning to look at my Bristol CD's to see if there are any possible children from the marriage but for some reason I keep putting off looking through all the Smiths... will do it now!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-06-11, 11:02
Administrator

No, can't see any on there.

If you can find the details of the brother's death it should help, such as his name, and his age at death if it's stated.

Also if you can get someone to look at whichever record it is that gives David Lewis's name as Emma's father - maybe the actual document states his occupation and / or parish.

Old 11-06-11, 22:03

Thanks for looking Kite.

Being SMITH is the reason I have had no luck in finding the rest of the family, I think. If Annie had married a man with an uncommon name, we might have got somewhere.

At first I did not even know if Emma just called herself SMITH to be more anonymous.
Gradually, different family members have told me different parts of the story.

A report of the sinking of the London shows the passenger list includes one G.M.Smith who was among the 220 lost, and also a T.Lewis, I think that is just a red herring. She sank on 10 Jan 1866, in the Bay of Biscay bound for Melbourne.

If G.M.Smith was Emma's brother, then it was a double tragedy, as Emma died on 10 Mar, just before the London would have reached Melbourne. G.M.Smith possbily joined the ship in Plymouth, its final port of call.

My daughter is in England, at the moment, not the least interested in her ancestors, but maybe if she's ever in Bristol, she will do a favour for her old mum, and go to the Record Office !!

Off to search for more on the "London" disaster. Would the deaths be recorded somewhere ? Overseas Index, perhaps ?

Di
Old 12-06-11, 05:57

Spent a couple of hours at the State Library. They have fmp and ancestry you can use for free for an hour !!

So far, a dead end with G.M Smith - thats what he listed as in the death indexes (overseas deaths) and I am not sure if a death cert would give any more information. Even an age might help !

Found a death for Alice Leek, in 1842 in Abergavenny, but not listed in the Abergavenny burials. I wonder if her death certificate would tell me anything useful.

Nothing solid on Daniel and Ann Smith, but they may not have stayed in Bristol.

Di
Old 12-06-11, 11:09
Administrator

This must be him in the National Probate Calendar, don't you think?

SMITH George Maslin. Effects under £200.
12 March. Letters of Administration of the Personal Estate of George Maslin Smith late of Carrington in the County of Nottingham Brewer deceased who died 11 January 1866 at Sea were granted at Nottingham to Sarah Jane Smith of Chatsworth in the County of Derby Widow the Relict of the said Deceased she having been first sworn.

We should be able to work out whether he is Emma's brother, since he has such an unusual middle name.

Old 12-06-11, 11:10
Administrator

Okay, his marriage on FamilySearch gives his father's name as Joseph Smith, so it's not looking likely!

Old 12-06-11, 12:10

Oh, thanks Kite, I wasn't thinking of him leaving a will - so few of mine did that I rarely consider it. However if he was from Nottingham, it seems unlikely that he would be Emma's brother, but with a name to work with, I might be able to work out how old he was etc.
Sarah Jane was only 20, but his age is not given, but cannot find anything else on them - I think the marriage is in freebmd, but the groom is missing.

Last edited by marquette; 12-06-11 at 12:33.
Old 12-06-11, 13:01
Administrator

No, I don't think he was Emma's brother, because his father's name was Joseph.

Old 13-06-11, 00:10

Oh, Well back to the drawing board. I will be trying to follow up the David Lewis angle, and borrow the films from the LDS to see the differences and why only one has the fathers name listed, and why the BRO did not tell me about it.

I found a baptism for Ann Leek natural daughter of Mary in Bryngwyn near Abergavenny in 1803, but no other Leek baptisms there. Can't see any Leek marriages for Mary, and no baptisms that seem logical for David Lewis (one in 1780s but I think he's too old).

At least I have a place to start now.

Di

Tags
to3g30