Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 15-06-11, 06:08

Default Almira Sandborn/Elmira Landham/Eleanor Landburn FFFMM

Name - "official" name and what they were known as –Almira Sandborn (on marriage certificate) or Elmira Landham (on daughter’s marriage certificate) or Eleanor Landburn (according to a cousin of mine)

Date and place of birth – abt 1805, Quebec, Canada

Names of parents – Josiah and Sarah (nee Shepard) Sandborn

Date and place of baptism - Quebec, Canada

Details of each of his or her marriages – to Samuel P Jacobs, 24 September 1828 at Frelighsburg, Quebec, Canada (Anglican Church Holy Trinity)

Occupation(s) - none known

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
Canada. Her marriage and her daughter’s marriage are the only references I have found for her.

Date, place and cause of death – unknown, but by 1851 census her husband has a different wife!

Date and place of burial - unknown

Details of will / administration of their estate - unknown

Memorial inscription - unknown

Sue at Langley Vale

Last edited by Langley Vale Sue; 31-07-12 at 07:35. Reason: Correcting names of parents
Old 15-06-11, 07:34
Administrator

Samuel's second marriage is on FamilySearch - Samuel P Jacobs married Rosamon Traver, 30 Mar 1845 Richford, Vermont, US.

So if Annie / Anna was Almira's daughter, Almira must have died between her birth (about 1842) and 1845.

Her surname is given as Sanburn on her son Shepard's marriage cert, according to FamilySearch.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-06-11, 07:49
Administrator

There is a Betsy Sanbourn, widow, age 66, at Sutton, Quebec, on the 1871 Canadian census, with a John Sanbourn age 37, Martha 36, Jennie 8 and Herbert 1. Almira was from Sutton on her marriage, so this could be the same Betsey who was a witness? In which case I guess she would be Almira's sister-in-law.

Old 15-06-11, 07:54
Administrator

And in 1851 at Sutton there is Thomas Sanborn age 54, born New Hampshire with Betsy age 50 (can't read her birthplace but it is in Canada) and John age 18 born Sutton. So if Thomas is Almira's brother, Almira may have been born in New Hampshire too.

Old 15-06-11, 07:58

Thanks for those Kite. I never thought to look on Family Search Another senior moment

I would think that is the same Bets(e)y that was a witness on Almira's marriage certificate.
As you see there are alternative spellings to the surname - I have Sandborne, Sandburn. Sandbourn and Sandborn, excluding the references that have the first letter as an L!

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 15-06-11, 08:01
Administrator

Thomas and Betsey's marriage is on FamilySearch - Thomas Sanborn married Betsey Flint, Richford, Vermont, 26 Sep 1824. I can only find the card marked "Marriage - Bride" on there, giving Betsy's residence as Richford, Vt. Surely there should be one for Thomas as well. Anyway, interesting that they got married in Richford in 1824, same place that Samuel Jacobs got married in 1845.

Old 15-06-11, 08:23
Administrator

Oooh, nosing around in the ancestry Family Trees, I've found an Almira Sanborn born about 1805, parents Josiah Sanborn and Sarah Sheperd. Looks promising since one of your Almira's children was called Shepard! There is also a Thomas Shepard Sanborn born 1798 in that family, although they don't say if he is the one who married Betsy Flint. But the eldest child of the family, another Betsy, is supposed to have married at Richford, Vermont, in 1818, and one of the other children, Electa, is supposed to be born 1803 at Brome, Quebec (Sutton was listed as Sutton, Brome, Quebec on the census if I remember rightly). So I would think it would be well worth looking into that and see if you can find something to prove it's your Almira.

Got to go out now!

Old 15-06-11, 09:27

Ooooh thanks Kite

I've been nosing around too and found a report of Samuel's grandson Shepard's suicide in 1955!
Also found out that Samuel & Almira's son Shepard married a 21 year old when he was 79 and their son Shepard (above) was born the following year in 1900!!!

Off to investigate your findings now

Sue at Langley Vale

Tags
to3g30