Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 11-06-11, 12:00
tenterfieldjulie

I just googled and found a family with Mary's parents being John and Hannah but I also found William Greentree's parents with the same parents as his uncle ... A bit too tired to go looking further. Not sure if her death in 1874 would give me parents.. I'll have a look on the index On the index it doesn't give parents names but it gives her age as 74. If that is correct it makes her born 1800 and not 1803, so back to the drawing board tomorrow lol

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 11-06-11 at 12:04.
Old 11-06-11, 15:21
Administrator

The death cert is actually shown on some of the ancestry trees and her age is given as 74on the cert, but it also says she had been in Australia for 60 years which is wrong, and her age at marriage is given as 25 (it also says 25 on the permission to marry.) Parents' names unknown on the death cert.

Hopefully this link will take anyone who is interested to the image:
death cert
(sorry, Julie, I know you haven't got ancestry)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-06-11, 00:50
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Kate. I don't think the death cert will tell me anything, from the index it gives her age, but not parents names.
There are two marriage records with Volume Nos. and so are on microfilm at the library, but somehow I think she would have put the age that suited her. I read some chat on Rootsweb and it basically was only giving the general info on her shipping. It also said that the Assizes records were patchy, but I seem to recall finding something which gave her age as 17 I did find the from rasalrelatives5 - about another young woman who was Mary's partner in one robbery which gives Rebecca's age but not Mary's. I think the only thing that might sort it if I could find another Mary Callow or Carlow baptism record in Noroflk and that doesn't seem likely. The following is part of what was posted:
"Rebecca Furness was 18 years old when she was tried in the Norwich City Assizes, Norfolk on the 30th July 1822. She was indicted for breaking into ............... Rebecca was also indicted with Mary Callow, for stealing from the lodging of Robert Murrell, Cotton; Gowns; Tabelcloths; and other articles of his property. She was found Guilty again."

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 12-06-11 at 00:56.
Old 12-06-11, 08:18
Administrator

Julie, it gives her age at marriage on the death cert and it says 25 on there so what I was saying is, the ages on the death cert contradict each other.

I found another Mary Callow baptism yesterday, 31 Jan 1802 Norwich St Julian, parents James Callow and Rebeka Cob, but it seems that that Mary married a William Griffiths in Norwich.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-06-11, 08:26
tenterfieldjulie

Yes Kate, on reflection I think the marriage date is more likely to be correct than the death date as the daughter didn't know parents or the correct time in Aust.. I keep choping and changing between marriage age and death age on the certs. I just wish I could find her Assizes record as I'm sure it gave her age. I have a feeling she was born 1804/5. I'll go looking in my files !! I think I found something at the Janet Reakes Centre at Hervey Bay years ago on the trial.
Old 12-06-11, 08:37
tenterfieldjulie

Found it: I printed it off from the Hervey Bay Genealogical Centre years ago.
Mary Callow alias Carlow - Ship Mary III - 1st Voyage - arrived 18 October 1823.
Trial: Norwich City Azzises Court. Trial Date: 30/7/1822.
Sentence: 7 years. Native Place: Norwich. Occupation: Housemaid.
Age 17 years. Height: 5 ft 1 1/2 inches.
Description: Fresh Freckles - Brown Hair - Grey Eyes.
So if this is correct and I'd imagine it is - she was born at Norwich 1804/1805.

Tags
to3g30