Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 29-11-10, 22:27

Default John Green, ahnentafel 36, FFMFF

Name - "official" name and what they were known asJohn or Jonathan Green
Date and place of birth
before 29 September 1793, Gawsworth, Cheshire
Names of parentsThomas Green and Mary Robinson
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
29 September 1791 Gawsworth St James, Cheshire.
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
First marriage to unknown unknown.
Second marriage as widower, to Ann Beston or Bestow, 29th August 1843, Sutton St George, Cheshire. (Note: married same day and place as niece Eleanor Green who was acting as his housekeeper in 1841)

Occupation(s) - if any
Farmer
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1841 -HO107/99/23 Folio 7 P8 Gawsworth Cheshire
1851 Mollards Farm, Gawsworth Cheshire
1856 Mollards, Gawsworth Cheshire.

Date, place and cause of death
1856 Gawsworth Cheshire
Date and place of burial.
Not known
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

[COLOR="blue"][Notes: John's first wife (my 3 x GGM) is a complete mystery. There were two sons from this marriage - Thomas born 1836 (my 2 x GGF) and William born 1833. I have not found any marriage for John or baptisms for the sons Thomas and William. After John's death in 1856, Thomas took over the farm and lists his stepmother Ann as his mother, but I think this is just a red herring as John didn't marry Ann until 1843.

/COLOR]
Old 30-11-10, 10:15
Administrator

I notice on the 1851 census that Wm and Thos were both said to be born in Macclesfield rather than Gawsworth. Isn't that odd? I had imagined John Green living on the same farm for some years and one would expect he had been in the same place since his first marriage.

(were his parents farmers? When did they die? UPDATE - Oh, is that John's father being buried in 1838?)

I suppose if John and your ggg-gm were living elsewhere then the children might have been baptised in her home parish, which might be anywhere. I noticed there are no appropriate burials in Gawsworth 1836-1841.

I see in 1861 Thomas and Wm don't know they weren't b in Gawsworth (if they weren't!)

I realise you will have gone over all this a zillion times already, so I'm not sure why I'm commenting! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-11-10, 10:46

Thankyou Merry, you have helped me before with this family.

The Greens have been farmers for ever and a day in Gawsworth and John took over the family farm for definite in 1838..but may have been there before that.

It is just so frustrating. I have combed every available parish register including the Macclesfield records but there is just no sign of a marriage for John nor a baptism for his two sons. I have also looked further afield but with a name like John Green it is impossible to make a good guess.

John did leave a Will but of course he doesn't mention his first wife!

However, putting up this thread has reminded me that I don't have John's death cert. Although I expect the informant will be his son, there may be some information on there...and I do believe I've never looked for a grave for him, which might give his first wife's name!

OC

Tags
to3g5