Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 29-01-14, 19:29

Default scrolling device?

Hello there I'm wondering if you can help me to locate something to store and make accessible a 2 foot by 10 foot rolled up family history chart. I had one printed for my father based on his extensive genealogical research and am wondering whether there is some kind of gadget which would help him to unroll it in small sections to look at it (it's too big to frame/put on the wall!).
Thanks for reading
Old 29-01-14, 19:50

In record offices, you use very heavy beads to weigh down rolls.

I imagine these are extremely expensive. Paper weights or more prosaically tins would do the job.
Old 29-01-14, 23:32

I wonder if stapling it to a tapestry scroll frame would work? The ends of the chart would probably have to be reinforced with tape first.

e.g.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scroll-Frame...rds=Fa+Edmunds

That Amazon one is too small but, judging by ebay listings, there are 27" (external measurement) ones on the market.
Old 30-01-14, 00:27

A library supply place might sell something useful. This one is in the U.S., but they have an "international" tab at the top of their web page. I couldn't find any kind of frame or scroll holder, but they do have the weights. I suppose you could chat with a local librarian about what they use and where they buy their supplies.
Gaylord

Janet (Niagara)
Old 30-01-14, 07:58
Administrator

Does your father have access to a computer? You were looking at uploading your father's tree to a tree hosting site on your other thread. Once that's done the tree can be viewed in numerous "bits at a time" ways (depending which site(s) you choose).

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-01-14, 16:30

Hello everyone - thank you all for your suggestions which is all very good food for thought. It did occur to me that one can zoom in and out of the pdf of the chart on the computer screen, but he is getting somewhat frail now (mentally and physically) and might cope better with something less technological. However perhaps I could show my mum how to view it on the pdf and she could do it with him (she is however a bit nervous of technology - and that isn't her age!!). Many thanks again, I shall keep on thinking about all these possibilities.