Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 14-01-14, 15:27

Its the money that bothers me OC, she had nearly 34,000 pounds (sorry no pound sign ha) her brother dies a few years after her and left nearly half a million, a lot now, how much would you get in these days!!!...hmm fishy this...they could have afford to pay someone to look after her...and again, how did she have so much money, and end up in a work house...as I said before to many questions......Lilly
Old 14-01-14, 17:27

£360 wasn't a fortune even then and perhaps they had already tried to have someone look after her and it didn't work out. She wasn't actually in the workhouse, she was in the asylum attached to the workhouse which is slightly different. I think it is obvious that she was not "normal" so I don't sense any wrong doing by the brother in having her committed to an asylum.

My grandmother was cared for at home by an army of daughters-in-law and granddaughters for many years. However, once she became violent AND started wandering the streets shouting and carrying on, she HAD to be confined somewhere for her own safety - it was beyond the family at that point to give her the safe care she needed.

OC
Old 15-01-14, 07:24

Some of you will remember the story of my Great Aunt who, in about 1911 was put in an asylum after she had an epileptic fit shortly after she started menstruating. She was in there for over 50 years until her release in the early 1960s, not even being allowed out to attend either of her parents funerals. Whilst she was in the asylum she worked in the laundry, losing the sight of one eye after a fellow patient flicked a sheet in her eye, and was able to amass quite a sum of money from her 'wages' which was saved for her until she was released. She had very few expenses whilst she was in the asylum, other than personal items, as all her needs were met including uniform type clothing. I realise my aunt's incarceration wasn't at the same time as Lorina's but this may help explain why she had that amount of money to leave in her will.

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 15-01-14, 10:25

You've probably seen this already, but the "Norfolk Ancestor" site says a talk was given
given about Lorina in 2009 after a member drew up her tree. It says the tree was every bit as fascinating as the talk!
I love the fact that she's got some posthumous fame - she seems to have quite a lot of
enthusiastic fans eg the "Frayed". Textiles on the Edge" group.
Old 15-01-14, 12:18

Before the NHS, the Workhouse Infirmary was the place where many people - not just those who were poor - went for their healthcare. The infirmary would also look after those with mental health issues.

Having showed Lorina's handiwork to some medically trained chums, they reckon she was a paranoid schizophrenic who had delusional episodes.

Even today, families can find it tough caring for people with schizophrenia, particularly they don't take their medication.

Did someone say she was once a milliner? Would have loved to have seen those hats!
Old 17-01-14, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Before the NHS, the Workhouse Infirmary was the place where many people - not just those who were poor - went for their healthcare. The infirmary would also look after those with mental health issues.

Having showed Lorina's handiwork to some medically trained chums, they reckon she was a paranoid schizophrenic who had delusional episodes.

Even today, families can find it tough caring for people with schizophrenia, particularly they don't take their medication.

Did someone say she was once a milliner? Would have loved to have seen those hats!

Yes...she was a milliner in one census. I think we may have seen some hats she inspired.....did you watch William and Kate's wedding?
There were some mighty odd ones there.....lol
Old 17-01-14, 19:08

Libby, surely you're not suggesting...

Janet (Niagara)
Old 17-01-14, 19:22

Janet, I just think if you have unlimited money, you can do better than putting a starfish on your head for a wedding hat.......lol
Old 18-01-14, 00:02

Janet (Niagara)
Old 20-01-14, 06:43
tenterfieldjulie

Libby .. tut .. I am sure it was a veeeery expensive starfish ..