Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-09-19, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Oh Toni, how awful. Postpartum depression surely kicked in instantly there.
I think so or very much wanted a girl.
Old 28-09-19, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Thanks Marg, but I was looking at the new gro site for online ordering of historic certs. Sorry, can't do a link on this kindle!

OC
Well it was, and has been previously, been accepted as proof of identity with other documentation. I thought the original ones were considered that.
Old 28-09-19, 21:13

NickiP, no, birth certificates say on the bottom that they are not proof of identity but this whole "proof of identity" thing is a bit of a farce I think. Someone on another site, who was adopted at birth, was asked to provide his original birth certificate instead of his adoption certificate. When he refused, the job offer was withdrawn. Yet my passport is out of date, but I was able to prove my identity with my bus pass, lol.

OC
Old 01-10-19, 09:41

Proof of identity seems to differ according to need.
Yesterday I went to the travel agent for some Euros. I've dealt with them before, but the computer was playing up and wouldn't bring up my details (arranged by post code.) I offered my passport as photo ID, but that didn't give my address, nor did my bus pass. Third time lucky, I managed to unearth my driving licence and when the address details were entered again the computer played ball and I was able to get my currency.
(Such a faff now the banks, in their wisdom, have closed their branches in many small towns and moved accounts to places further away and more difficult to get to. There is a post office facility in my village, two hours a week, but often the internet connection fails and so transactions cannot be done. What should be a simple few minutes job in the local high street can now require up to half a day )

Jay