Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 04-03-12, 07:58
Administrator

Quote:
MORTLOCK, Ella Winifred M
Registration district Faversham County: Kent
Year of registration 1902
Quarter of registration Jan-Feb-Mar
Volume no 2A
page no 918

Ella doesn't show on the census in 1911 and there doesn't seem to be a death for her.

Would it be worth getting this certificate just in case?
The only problem is that Emma may be part of the family of Albert G and Fanny E Mortlock who had a lot of children in Faversham District between about 1897 and probably through to 1905. All of their children seem to have three forenames and I've not been able to find any of them in 1911 and no marriages or deaths for the ones with more unusual names (Queenie, Bernard and Earl) at all. Also no death for dad Albert George Mortlock, but I don't think I looked for his wife, Fanny Eleanor Mortlock.

However, I have found what could be the father and the two eldest boys (Alfred, Alfred and Albert) on a ship to Canada in 1908. I've not found evidence for the others going yet though. It may be that Ella is part of this family.

However, that leaves Lilian Freda Mortlock, reg in the same Q as Ella (presume different family as completely different page number) and I can't find her afterwards, but now I'm thinking others have, so that's OK. (Except that I've made things worse! lol)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-03-12, 08:12

I cant access ancestry, so cant view your 1911 census.

When does she proport to being born?
Old 04-03-12, 08:18

Well, I'm going back to checking all the Mauds born about that time....but I'm sticking with Cambridge in the hope that only one lie was told in 1911.....lol

Julia is with the Medlocks in 1901. She hasn't got that much time to leave there, go off and get herself pregnant and have a baby in early 1902. Maud is already 9 in 1911.

I don't think the Medlocks thought about changing her age at all as they have a 9 year old son in 1911 born in a different place to their 9 year old "daughter".
Old 04-03-12, 08:24
Administrator

Cambridge, Jess.

Quote:
She hasn't got that much time to leave there, go off and get herself pregnant and have a baby in early 1902.
She might have already been pregnant when the 1901 census was taken rather than going off first.....

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-03-12, 08:35

I thought of that Merry.....had a look around the streets in 1901 checking out prospective fathers but haven't found any Mauds with names that fit.

There's only 3 Mauds born Cambridge between Q4 1901 and Q3 1902 and I've got them in their right places.
Old 04-03-12, 08:40

Another thought....................don't suppose Maud is Mr Medlock's daughter??
Old 04-03-12, 08:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anstey Nomad View Post
Does anyone have any ideas?

AN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
Do you know what date she used for her birthday?

Would anyone know what date she did use for her birthday?

If you had a date it might be worth contacting the Cambridgeshire CC and asking them if their CAMDEX indexes will ever include mmn like some of the other indexes around the country do (even before 1912). When they say "No" you could ask how much it would cost to check out the births for the relevant Q (hoping there's only one) for any births with mmn Mortlock. The other problem is that there are five different subdistricts covering different areas of Cambridge.

Old 04-03-12, 08:47

I asked An about the birthday. I think she's having a look.

Merry....what are the districts? OH is now watching some garbage on TV so I'm exiled to the computer...lol
Old 04-03-12, 08:49
Administrator

I've a bad feeling Cambridge might well refer to the whole county rather than the city

I wonder how Julia managed in London with a baby/toddler before she sent Maud to her sister?

Old 04-03-12, 08:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
Merry....what are the districts? OH is now watching some garbage on TV so I'm exiled to the computer...lol
Do you mean the subdistricts?

Sub-districts : Cambridge, St. Andrew the Great, St. Andrew the Less, St. Giles, St. Mary the Great