Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-11-12, 10:09

Snap Merry! I think Mary dies in 1885 but the waiter sort of clinches that....
Old 17-11-12, 10:11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
I'm trying to prove or disprove that Elizabeth who was baptised in 1816 St Giles in the Fields was the daughter of Daniel Carr carpenter of Pancras
I think I misunderstood this the first time I read it - do you mean that you are trying to prove / disprove that Elizabeth Owston is the Elizabeth Carr who was baptised in 1816, Asa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Are you refering to Porter James, Kate? If he died in 1879 he could still be the James who is on the 1851 census! Maybe I'm missing the point
Sorry, no I meant that Richard Potter Owston who I mentioned in my previous post.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-11-12, 10:15

Yes - I wrote that badly. I was really after finding her on another census to give more weight to her age and pob.

I can't find her youngest son Charles on any census which is probably relevant. He dies 1888 Edmonton
Old 17-11-12, 10:23
Administrator

Thanks Kate!

I see Wm George is a "relative" in 1881, so that may be a challenge if these turn out to be your relatives, Asa!

Have you tried looking with surnames beginning with A rather than O on the missing censuses? (Or H?)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-11-12, 10:34

I think I've tried C-ston and A-ston and H-ston but probably not for all of them on every census! I've got to go out now but I'll start again later - I hoep these are mine because I like Richard being Turnkey at Newgate:-) But there are so many unknowns....however I can't see another candidate for Elizabeth other than the 1816 baptism so I think it looks likely.

Thank you both for your help:-)
Old 17-11-12, 11:50
Administrator

Another problem person is Sarah Owston aged 8 in 1841. I would have thought she might be the sister of Wm (Canada), but I can't see she existed other than the 1841 census entry. If she is another child for your Elizabeth then she would have been quite a young mum.

I can only see the one baptism for a child of Wm and Hannah (Richard) in Derbyshire.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-11-12, 12:02

Where's the baptism for Richard please, Merry?

It doesn't make a great deal of difference but Elizabeth was baptised along with a sister Margaretta after a gap of 5 years so she may have been a couple of years older.
Old 17-11-12, 17:17
Administrator

This was the bap I thought was likely:

name: Richard Owstin
baptism/christening date: 13 Jun 1819
baptism/christening place: LONG EATON,DERBY,ENGLAND
father's name: William Owstin
mother's name: Hannah
indexing project (batch) number: C05548-1
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 498098

Old 17-11-12, 21:32

Thanks Merry - got to be him
Old 23-11-12, 18:33

Default Owstons

Greetings. I've stumbled on this forum by accident today and can answer probably many of your questions.

There is great difficulty in making sense out of the Owstons of London in this period. This is due to several things.

There are two divergent lines of Owstons in London and although related, the connection goes back to probably the 1400s. There is no paper trail, but DNA evidence proves a relationship. These lines often share the same forenames.

Another difficulty is that Eliza Carr was married to two Richard Owstons. The second was the nephew of her first husband. She is only referenced as Elizabeth in the second marriage records - elsewhere she is consistently referenced as "Eliza" which may or may not be a cognomen.

A third problem with the Porter Owston group is that there were two William Porter Owstons who were first cousins, once removed. They are often confused; however, the younger one never married and had no issue. In fact, he was never a resident of London, but some researchers have placed him there in order to justify the fourth problem.

The fourth problem is that two of the Porter Owston family - a William Owston and his nephew, the older William Porter Owston - had bigamous relationships that produced children.

Eliza Carr, daughter of Daniel Carr of Middlesex, married Richard Owston as his second wife on 20 SEP 1834 in Montreal. They had two children: William Porter Owston and Elizabeth Owston. Richard (the first husband) died in November 6, 1838.

The name Porter entered the line with the wife of William Owston (1718-1791) who was named Jane Porter. They had a son named Porter Owston (1763-1820) and several of his descendants have Porter as a first or middle name and included both William Porter Owstons, Samuel Porter Owston, Henry Porter Owston, and Porter James Owston.

I think that answers the majority of the questions regarding this line. Feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Jim Owston

Last edited by jowston; 23-11-12 at 18:39.