Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-07-20, 13:32

Default Phoebe Entwistle

Born about 1700, was buried as the acknowledged wife of Owd Timothy Holden. (Come back here at once, Merry!)

I have never found a marriage for Timothy and Phoebe, nor a baptism for Phoebe, so that's always been a dead end.

Today, someone has shown an interest in this tree, which has spurred me to have another search,lol.

Timothy and Phoebe lived all their life in Darwen. Many children, some unproven because the couple were strict nonconformists and didn't have their children baptised.

St Peter Bolton.22 September 1725 burial of John Holden, son of Timothy and Phoebe. Abode Little Bolton. What were they doing there? Read on.

One of their proven children was a daughter, Esther. Esther is a name which does not previously feature in Holden names, so........

St Peter Bolton. 29 December 1696, marriage of Thomas Entwistle (of Edgworth) to Esther Crompton (of Prestidge - Prestwich?).

So, a Thomas and Esther Entwistle marrying in the church where their possible grandson is buried 30 years later. (Timothy and Phoebe have a son called Thomas as well as daughter Esther).

Have I leapt too far?

OC
Old 17-07-20, 14:43
Administrator

It looks promising. Looking at baptisms of children of Thomas Entwistle, there seem to have been a lot of people of that name in the area!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-07-20, 14:43

If Esther's mum was called Phoebe, I'll roll over and you can tickle my tummy.

Or did every family have a Esther at that time and in that place?
Old 17-07-20, 15:09
Administrator

Is it OK to wear my mask over my eyes?

I think it's promising too!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-07-20, 18:10

Thankyou all, that is what I wanted you to say. Gosh, a breakthrough (of sorts) first in 15 years. Yes, a lot of Thomas Entwistles in Lancashire!

OC
Old 19-07-20, 09:43

Oh ******* it! I did indeed leap too far.

I have just found a new entry on familysearch which gives a baptismal record for Phoebe, of 24 November 1700, St Mary Blackburn, father JOHN Entwistle. I cannot enlarge the image enough to check it, so I would be most grateful if someone else could. (Febey Entwistle 1700).

I found this AFTER I spent several hours trawling through St Mary records on Lan-opc. It doesn't appear on there, I wonder why not?

*Tears up 15 envelopes of speculative Thomas and Esther trees*

OC
Old 19-07-20, 10:07
Administrator

Yes, it says Febey ye Daughter of John Entwisle of upp?????? Baptized ye 24 of November 1700.

I assume it says Upper Darwen but that bit is impossible to make out.

Old 19-07-20, 10:09
Administrator

I should add that higher up on the same page is Timothy the son of James Holden of Upper Darwen Baptized 22th of July 1700.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...:S3HT-61C9-PLH

Old 19-07-20, 10:12
Administrator

Strange. The baptisms on that page don't match the transcriptions on Lan OPC for St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn. Not got time to try to figure it out just now though.

Old 19-07-20, 11:43

Kate

Thankyou so much for that, I typed a long reply and lost it!

When I searched for Timothy's baptism, some 30 years ago now, I went through the register with a fine toothcomb but did not find it. Eventually, right at the back of the register I found a supplementary register headed "children born but not baptised", a list of about 30 names of children and their fathers, plus the fine payable of 6d. I corresponded with the archivist at Lancashire Records Office and he agreed this register ought to be listed as a separate entity.

So, as far as I am concerned, Timothy was NOT baptised - no great surprise, he came from long line of staunch nonconformists. I had expected the same for Phoebe, although her name was not on the supplementary register. So I am a bit suspicious but cant pinpoint how and when "not baptised" came to be included as "baptised".

A minor detail, I know, but actually quite important if you are researching these families and hve not realised they were noncons recorded elsewhere.