Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-08-22, 09:47
Administrator

Trove newspapers:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...henry%20holman

The Daily Northern Argus, Rockhampton, Queensland, 20 Apr 1891
The friends of John Henry Holman are respectively invited to attend the funeral of his deceased beloved Wife, to move from her late residence Quay-street, opposite the Gas Work, THIS (Monday) AFTERNOON, at 3.30 o'clock for the Rockhampton Cemetery.

The friends of Josiah and John Henry Holman, Jnr, are respectively invited to attend the funeral of their deceased beloved Mother, to move from her late residence Quay-street, opposite the Gas Work, THIS (Monday) AFTERNOON, at 3.30 o'clock for the Rockhampton Cemetery.

So John Henry jr and Josiah had also moved to Queensland by 1891.

Or the family had homes in both NZ and Queensland at the same time.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-08-22, 11:42

Thank you. I think maybe a couple of branches of the same family, who just conveniently name their children the same.

I suppose it’s better than my Grants and Gordon’s. One lot has three Isabells and two Roberts. They all lived to adulthood. Not sure how the parents called them.
Old 02-08-22, 12:51
Administrator

The children born in New Zealand are definitely the same people who later lived in Queensland, or are you not saying they aren't?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-08-22, 13:10

I thought they were, but just needed reassurance. I wasn’t sure how the other family still in NZ was connected. Still not sure, but happy with this line. Thanks.

I will look at connecting the other NZ group later.
Old 02-08-22, 14:25

Libby, have you seen this?

http://www.cadiavalleyheritage.com.a...-mine-captain/
Old 02-08-22, 14:35

There was also a talk about Josiah in May this year in Orange by one of Josiah's great grandsons. The library might be able to put you in touch with him.

https://www.orange.nsw.gov.au/event/...ining-captain/

Last edited by crawfie; 02-08-22 at 14:58.
Old 02-08-22, 14:37

And more, giving a bit more of his timeline.

http://cornishstory.com/2016/07/08/t...h-coincidence/

If you google "Josiah Holman" mine captain you get a number of hits, I haven't been through them all.

There is also a thread about him on RootsChat which gives details of his children and where they were born:

Elizabeth Simmons Holman born 21 December 1842 ( not very long after the marriage)
Emily Holman b 10 January 1844 died as an infant
John Henry Holman 12 October 1846

Emily Louisa Holman 15 November 1849 born in Brazil
Josiah Holman 10 October 1853
Charles William Holman Born Capetown ( my G Grandfather) 13 January 1857
Annie Holman Born New Zealand 2 Nov 1859

Last edited by crawfie; 02-08-22 at 14:55. Reason: Adding extra info
Old 02-08-22, 15:10

This excerpt from here:

http://www.celticcouncil.org.au/corn...istory%201.pdf

ties in with the newspaper excerpt about the housefire. The family had obviously already moved to NSW. It does however say that John Henry was born in Brazil!

In 1858, Josiah and Elizabeth Holman had five children, born either in Cornwall or at distant
places where Josiah’s mining work had taken the family.
Elizabeth Simmons Holman b.1842 Cornwall
John Henry Holman b.1846 Brazil
Emily Louisa Holman b.1849 Cornwall
Josiah Holman b.1853 Cornwall
Charles William Holman b.1857 Capetown, South Africa
Josiah and Elizabeth must have decided that the time was ripe to move to New Zealand.
Josiah had anticipated that the 1106 ton ship Caduceus would depart for New Zealand late in
January 1859 and made bookings for the seven of them.
Caduceus under the command of Captain Cass sailed from London on 13 February 1859 and
arrived in Auckland on 19 May 1859. Before he departed from Truro, Josiah Holman wrote a
letter dated 11 January 1859 to John Penrose Christoe indicating that he was departing from
Cornwall with his family and stated “I go out (to NZ) entirely on speculation and failing to get
a situation shortly after my arrival in that country I intend to begin as a farmer”.
After arriving Auckland, Josiah Holman again wrote to Christoe on 4 December 1859 explaining that he would be interested for Christoe to advise him “if anything worth while turns up in
NSW” at the new mines being developed in the area. Josiah found no employment in
Auckland and purchased what was described as “a lot of wild land of 233 acres” at
Whangarei, about 75 miles north of Auckland. He housed his family, partially stocked the land
with cattle and was “…bringing a little of it into cultivation”. In the time after their arrival, there
had been an addition to the family in 1859, Annie Holman, born at Parahiki in New Zealand.
She was eventually to be the oldest member of the Holman family living at Cadia.
Old 02-08-22, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfie View Post
This excerpt from here:

http://www.celticcouncil.org.au/corn...istory%201.pdf

ties in with the newspaper excerpt about the housefire. The family had obviously already moved to NSW. It does however say that John Henry was born in Brazil!

In 1858, Josiah and Elizabeth Holman had five children, born either in Cornwall or at distant
places where Josiah’s mining work had taken the family.
Elizabeth Simmons Holman b.1842 Cornwall
John Henry Holman b.1846 Brazil
Emily Louisa Holman b.1849 Cornwall
Josiah Holman b.1853 Cornwall
Charles William Holman b.1857 Capetown, South Africa
Josiah and Elizabeth must have decided that the time was ripe to move to New Zealand.
Josiah had anticipated that the 1106 ton ship Caduceus would depart for New Zealand late in
January 1859 and made bookings for the seven of them.
Caduceus under the command of Captain Cass sailed from London on 13 February 1859 and
arrived in Auckland on 19 May 1859. Before he departed from Truro, Josiah Holman wrote a
letter dated 11 January 1859 to John Penrose Christoe indicating that he was departing from
Cornwall with his family and stated “I go out (to NZ) entirely on speculation and failing to get
a situation shortly after my arrival in that country I intend to begin as a farmer”.
After arriving Auckland, Josiah Holman again wrote to Christoe on 4 December 1859 explaining that he would be interested for Christoe to advise him “if anything worth while turns up in
NSW” at the new mines being developed in the area. Josiah found no employment in
Auckland and purchased what was described as “a lot of wild land of 233 acres” at
Whangarei, about 75 miles north of Auckland. He housed his family, partially stocked the land
with cattle and was “…bringing a little of it into cultivation”. In the time after their arrival, there
had been an addition to the family in 1859, Annie Holman, born at Parahiki in New Zealand.
She was eventually to be the oldest member of the Holman family living at Cadia.
John Henry's birth was registered in Cornwall:
HOLMAN, JOHN HENRY mother's maiden name SIMMONS
GRO Reference: 1846 D Quarter in REDRUTH UNION Volume 09 Page 275

See post 8.
Old 02-08-22, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
John Henry's birth was registered in Cornwall:
HOLMAN, JOHN HENRY mother's maiden name SIMMONS
GRO Reference: 1846 D Quarter in REDRUTH UNION Volume 09 Page 275

See post 8.
Yes I had seen it. That's why I put an exclamation mark