Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 31-07-22, 10:38

Default birth cert question

If a lady has died and her daughter is researching her parents ( she was adopted ) am I allowed to put a link up with a query about her birth certificate ?...thanks ...Allan

added - her query to me - My mum died a few years ago, she didn’t know she was adopted. I’ve got one birth certificate where she is named as Carol Ann Ellis, a note on the side says she had Ellis name deleted at a later date. Where is the other birth cert listed please?

I found this - pretty certain she was born in Sefton General Hospital in South Liverpool

http://www.ukbmdcertificateordering....sqnA9F2XmEtkxM

Last edited by garstonite; 31-07-22 at 10:41.
Old 31-07-22, 10:43

By the way - the lady concerned - her mums husband was away in WW2- and she had a baby to another man whilst her husband was at war
Old 31-07-22, 10:52

Not sure what you are asking, Allan. We only have one birth certificate and it sounds as if your friend already has it. As her mother was adopted (away from the family I assume) then she would have an adoption certificate. Adoption certificates and birth certificates aren't linked in any way, other than date of birth and only the registrar general can link the two.

Sorry if I've misunderstood, what is she hoping to find out?

OC
Old 31-07-22, 11:01

I can only quote what she has written - that she has one birth certificate and it has a note saying that surname was deleted at a later date - so was her Adopted name then put on that birth certificate ? is that what happens ?
Old 31-07-22, 11:20

Allan, no. Birth certificates are not linked in any way to an adoption certificate, only the registrar general can link them and will only do that through official channels (an adoption intermediary).

What I think has happened here is this (I have a friend who was adopted because of the same circumstances, war time birth, husband away, returned home and insisted the boy was adopted out).

So, Carol Ann was born to a married woman, Mrs Ellis, during the war. She registered the child as if it was her husband's. At some point Carol Ann was put up for adoption but before that could happen, Mr Ellis's name was removed from the certificate because he could prove he was not Carol's father. Then Carol was legally adopted and given an adoption certificate with her new identity - this adoption certificate stands as a birth certificate for all intents and purposes, but it isn't actually a birth certificate so it doesn't appear in the birth records. There is a separate adoption certificate register held by the GRO but again, you won't find a link to the birth registers.

If she is hoping to find the birth father's name, that is only likely to be in the adoption file. As a near relative of the adopted person, she is entitled to some information from the adoption file but that is not free and is quite expensive. And his name might not be there!

OC
Old 31-07-22, 11:29

Thanks very much OC - She says she has applied for the adoption papers but as yet has had no reply - any idea how long it usually takes please ??

ADDED - Latest update is - The Salvation Army handled the adoption and she has contacted them and they are saying they can't find any records - at the time an Uncle went with her to the Salvation Army with the baby so she knows the Salvation Army definitely handled the Adoption

Last edited by garstonite; 31-07-22 at 11:34.
Old 31-07-22, 11:45

Allan, in my (limited) experience, the first response is always that they can't find the file/the files were destroyed in a fire, etc! Tell her to keep on at them.

In my friend's case, he was adopted by a family member, so he did get some information about his birth father, but was never sure he had been told the truth. DNA testing linked him to a half brother in the USA but the half brother refused any contact or information.

OC
Old 31-07-22, 11:47

Thanks OC - I will tell her exactly what you have told me ...xxxx
Old 03-08-22, 17:28

The application for the adoption file should be made to the court that granted the adoption order (usually the court where the adoptive parents resided). The Salvation Army may or may not have produced some paperwork at the time which forms part of the adoption file but the file itself is a legal document and as such the court retains responsibility for them.
My coal is spent, my iron's gone
My nails are drove, my work is done
Lord receive my soul
Old 09-08-22, 07:18

thanks Glen - I have had no contact from her for a week now - I think she is disheartened sadly......cheers