Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 07-01-10, 23:31
Administrator

We need the 1921 census!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-01-10, 23:37
Administrator

Or of course it could be that a widowed Moran married a McNamara, though Lancashire BMD usually gives all previous surnames (if they got married in Lancashire).

I couldn't find Frances S Moran's birth registration to see if she was old enough to have a child in 1912.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-01-10, 07:57

dozens of Morans in Garston...they came over from Wicklow and so did many many other Irish families...Garston is nicknamed Little Wicklow....allan
Old 08-01-10, 10:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Or maybe there was some mistake and the Margaret listed on the index is the right one but MMN is wrong.
The more I look at it the more I wonder if this is the case? Never come across that happening before, but I suppose every possible mistake must have happened at some time or other.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-01-10, 13:14

I realise we are now onto another TOGG but just to let you know that Margaret married Frank Mellor in 1938 june qtr...got the info about her husband off M****** ....so ...she definitely WAS born Margaret McNamara 1912...(known as Aunty Peggy).as soon as Denis signed up for WW1 Zipporah ran away from him as he was a wife beater...M****** says her nan (zipporah) said she had 8 children altogether 3 to Robert and 5 to Denis..the first at 15.......allan
she was 15 in june qtr
married sep qtr
had James dec qtr....all 1891 ...so she was pregnant at 14 ...and he was 27......in this day and age he would have been jailed wouldn`t he ??

Last edited by garstonite; 08-01-10 at 13:24.
Old 08-01-10, 13:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garstonite View Post
I realise we are now onto another TOGG but just to let you know that Margaret married Frank Mellor in 1938 june qtr...got the info about her husband off M****** ....so ...she definitely WAS born Margaret McNamara 1912...(known as Aunty Peggy).as soon as Denis signed up for WW1 Zipporah ran away from him as he was a wife beater...
There are no Margaret mellor deaths with dob 26th Sept 1912, but she might have died before the dob was listed or one or other dates might be wrong.

I am irritated with myself now as I'm sure one of the addresses I detailed way back near the start of this thread when I was reading Denis's army record (post #11) was an address for Zipporah, but I wrote it down as 'their address' which is clearly wasn't if they were separated. *chastises self for not being more careful* Also in 1919 there were two addresses for Denis, so maybe one of those was Zipporah's address too?

Quote:
M****** says her nan (zipporah) said she had 8 children altogether 3 to Robert and 5 to Denis..the first at 15.......allan
she was 15 in june qtr
married sep qtr
had James dec qtr....all 1891 ...so she was pregnant at 14 ...and he was 27......in this day and age he would have been jailed wouldn`t he
Poor Zipporah - she didn't have a very good personal life did she? Let's hope having a good job made up for it a bit. I wonder if your cousin has the first marriage cert for Zipporah? It would be interesting to see if she admitted to being 15. it was legal then, of course, but so many brides added a bit if they were very young.

The 8 children bit ties in doesn't it? James, Thomas (who died) and Martha with Robert and two who died before 1911 with Denis, plus Denis, Veronica and Margaret with Denis.

Tags
togg7