Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 29-10-12, 22:38
tenterfieldjulie

Default Thomas Lett, Rathsilla, County Wexford MMMFFF

Name: Thomas Lett
Date and place of birth: 1700 Wexford Ireland
Names of parents: William Lett and Mary Elmes
Date and place of baptism: Church of Ireland, Wexford probably near Ballyvergin
Marriage: Elizabeth Whitney - County Wexford, Ireland (some trees say 1738)
Occupation(s): Gentleman farmer
Addresses: Rathsilla, County Wexford, Ireland
Date, place and cause of death: 1797, Old Age, Rathsilla, County Wexford
Date and place of burial: 1797 St James, Horetown, Ireland
Details of will: Unknown
Memorial inscription: in the Church of Ireland churchyard of St James, Horetown, I have seen a substantial monument to Charles and Elizabeth Lett, but unfortunately lost my camera after. I’m sure there are written records of the inscription which I currently can’t locate.
Children: Supposedly born 1738, 1739, 1743, 1758, 1759, 1762, 1773 (last born Charles)
Old 30-10-12, 00:37

Impressed (and envious!) that you've managed to trace your Irish family so far back. I've drawn a blank with mine. As for the OH's family, there are just toooooo many men named John Ryan born in Tipperary. It seems every townland has heaps of them.
Old 30-10-12, 04:06
tenterfieldjulie

I know what you mean Shona, I looked for Peter's grandfather in Sligo for 25 years. Finally found on his oldest daughter's birth reg in Australia that he came from Gurteen. Then in Ireland, with a nudge from a friend, I found on a Finn family web site, a brother's address gave the townland of Gurtigara. We then found a B & B next to the farm and a long story, but have very happily visited the family in Ireland and they visited here .. but that took nearly 30 years ..
With my lot .. so much is anecdotal .. but I was lucky with the Burgess family because a booklet gave the tomb inscriptions, which when I visited you couldn't read them.. My Letts though, their wives have children in their 50s and 60s .. so not quite sure whether they were drinking lots of Guiness or what .. I have to go back though and record what was on Thomas Lett's headstone at Horetown. I have a huge book called "The Family Face" on the Leete/Leet/Lett family but the details are not recorded .. if I needed an excuse, I have one to go back..

Tags
to4g51