Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 28-10-12, 20:44

Default Josiah Sanborn

FFFMMF

There appears to be more than one Josiah Sanborn in the same area of New Hampshire at the same time. Several trees on Ancestry seem to have interchanged two in particular – one born in 1761 to parents Waster(?) & Hannah Sanborn and one born in 1769 to parents Josiah & Anna. Or are these the same man? I have found a birth with parents Josiah & Anna in 1765 on Ancestry, but cannot find one in 1769.
There is an application in 1922 from a descendant of Josiah Sanborn snr to be allowed to join ‘The Sons of the American Revolution’ which shows the parents of Josiah jnr as Josiah Sanborn (1738-1809) and Anna Dalton and his wife as Sally Shepherd..
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...04&path=171.71
There is also a record in the Family Data Collection on Ancestry for a Josiah Sanborn (wife Hannah Young) born 14 Aug 1761 to parents Worcester Sambourne & Hannah Fowler. This Josiah’s death is shown as 16 Oct 1831 in Abercorn, Brome, Pq – is this one mine? I have my Josiah’s death in Brome-Missisquoi, Quebec, Canada on this date. I am assuming that the tree owners have confused the death dates of these two Josiahs as, thanks to Kite's posts #2 & #3 on this thread, I have discounted the Josiah born in 1861 as he appears to be alive in 1850.
Yet another record in in the Family Data Collection on Ancestry for a Josiah Sanborn shows a dob of 2 May 1765 in Sanbornton, Belknap, New Hampshire, USA with parents Josiah Sanborn & Anna. This would tally with the age at death given in the burial record. I have claimed this Josiah as 'mine'!

Following further research and contact with a possible relative, I have decided that the Josiah born in 1765 to Josiah and Anna is not 'mine' - although I am still no means certain. I therefore have altered the details below.

Name - "official" name and what they were known as – Josiah Sanborn

Date and place of birth – 14 Aug 1761, Sandown, Rockingham, New Hampshire, USA (Ancestry)

Names of parents – Worcester/Waster/Worster & Hannah/Anna (nee Fowler) Sanborn

Date and place of baptism – not known

Details of each of his or her marriages – To Sarah Shepard on 23 October 1794, Sanbornton, Belknap, New Hampshire, USA. I think I have the right marriage as my 3x G grandmother (Josiah’s daughter) named her eldest son Shepard.

Occupation(s) – Carpenter and joiner (on wife Sarah's death registration).

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
At some point after his marriage, and before his daughter was born in 1810, Josiah moved to Quebec, Canada

Date, place and cause of death – 16 Oct 1831, Sutton, Brome-Missisquoi, Quebec, Canada. Cause unknown

Date and place of burial – 18 Oct 1831, Frelighsburg, Quebec, Canada. Burial record states he was ‘in the 65th year of his age’.

Details of will / administration of their estate - unknown

Memorial inscription – unknown

Daughter
Almira

Wife
Sarah Shepard

Sue at Langley Vale

Last edited by Langley Vale Sue; 14-03-13 at 18:39. Reason: Correcting birthdate & parent's names
Old 05-11-12, 23:46
Administrator

Ancestry has a database called New Hampshire Census 1790-1890 which has a record for a Josiah Sanborn 2d in the NH 1840 Pensioners List, age 80, township of Sandbornton, Strafford County. There is no image to view for this record so I don't know whether it proves that there was an 80 year old Josiah Sanborn living in Sanbornton in 1840. Will see if I can find him anywhere else around that time...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-11-12, 23:48
Administrator

Ah right, yes, there is a Josiah Sanborn age 80 at Sandbornton on the 1840 US census. For some reason ancestry didn't show me the ages on the list of results, only when I viewed the image. So that one could be the one born 1761. Must get to bed now!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-11-12, 07:29

Thanks Kite.

My Josiah was certainly dead & buried in Canada by 1840 so I think I can rule out the Josiah born in 1761.

I'm going with the birth in 1765 to parents Josiah & Anna, as this fits with the age at death of 'my' Josiah.

I'll alter my post.

Sue at Langley Vale

Tags
to4g13