Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 06-08-11, 20:11

Sue, what did you think of the will and baptisms? Do you think it is your man?
Old 06-08-11, 21:06

It may well be 'my' Richard. The trouble is, there were/are so many Seldons in Landkey, and the names seem to be interchangeable, it's difficult to be certain.

Most of my information this far back came from a 4th cousin once removed of my husband, who had done extensive research in Devon personally. I will try to contact him to see if he has progressed further with his research as he is more local than I am. I do also have hard copies of his research, most of which I haven't transferred to my FTM as it wasn't a direct line, so I must check them as well.

Thank you for your help & suggestions, it's made me look at Landkey baptisms again and I've found some more relatives.

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 06-08-11, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
I don't know the relationship of Thomas Seldon to Richard but this could be interesting:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...&resultcount=8

This (from above) seems to explain somewhat:

CHARLES, BARNSTAPLE. 48/25/4/2/5 29 March 1805

Contents:
45 George III
Assignment of leases for 2000 years and 1000 years.
(1) Elizabeth Seldon of Landkey, widow, relict and administratrix of Thomas Seldon, deceased.
(2) John Seldon of Bratton Fleming, yeoman, Christopher Seldon of Landkey, yeoman, Robert Cawsey of Pilton, yeoman, and Mary his wife, and Richard Seldon of Landkey, yeoman (John, Richard and Christopher Seldon, and Mary Cawsey, [B]being next of kin of Thomas Seldon, who died intestate[/B]).
Moiety of a sixth share of Thorn Park, in Charles Parish.
Consideration: 5s., and undertaking by (2) to assign to (1) 2 leases for 500 years and 1000 years, of a moiety of a field near Maidenford in Barnstaple Parish.

I'm not sure about the dying intestate bit, though!
Richard had brothers named Thomas, Christopher & John. I haven't got Thomas' marriage so I don't know if his wife was Elizabeth though. More investigation needed I think! The name Cawsey rings a bell too, although there's nothing on my FTM for that name. Time to go back to the scraps of paper I think

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 21-02-22, 20:34

Hi, how far did you get with Richard as he is one of my direct ancestors? I do have some records.

Tags
to4g1