Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 26-02-10, 23:02

I've now found the probable death of David Clayton on LancsOPC:

Burial: 22 Jan 1802 St Elphin, Warrington, Lancashire, England
David Clayton -

They say the register is in very poor condition, and as it gives his occupation, the entry clearly doesn't relate to a child.

I've looked for a remarriage for Mary, but I can't see an obvious one in Warrington; there is a marriage in 1803 for a Mary Clayton, but it doesn't say she's a widow, so I assume it isn't her.

I've also found a fifth child for David and Mary Clayton there: James, baptised in 1792.
Old 27-02-10, 14:00

I managed to confirm the 1846 remarriage for Mary Clayton, because the Cheshire BMD site gives her maiden name:

Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1846

Surname Forename(s) / Surname Forename(s) / Church/Register Office / Registers At / Reference

CLAYTON Mary / HINDLEY James / Warrington, St Elphin / Warrington / C25/3/185
DAKIN Mary / HINDLEY James / Warrington, St Elphin / Warrington / C25/3/185

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 27-02-10 at 14:03.
Old 27-02-10, 14:03

The Lancs OPC site has excellent coverage for Warrington; I've found all the events that occurred there, except for those after 1837, which are on the Cheshire BMD site.

There's a possible baptism for David Clayton senior in Winwick, which is only 3 miles away from Warrington, and there are loads of Claytons there. Unfortunately the Lancs OPC records don't go back that far.

There are two possible baptisms for Mary Ormerod in Warrington; the first seems the most likely, because her mother was called Jane, but there's no way of being really sure.

I wonder if anyone has access to Poor Law records for the Warrington district? If the David Clayton born in Winwick is the right one, there should be a settlement order for him.
Old 27-02-10, 14:40

Great progress, Mary. The OPC sites and FreeReg between them certainly provide a lot of useful information.

I hope you manage to get further back in due course. I'm rather busy today but will have a better look when I can.
Old 27-02-10, 15:31

No problem, you've gone above and beyond the call of duty already

I've been looking for a marriage for Martha Clayton/Schofield, but I can't find anything obvious.

There is a marriage to a James Worrall, but the only couple I can find on the censuses who might be them call themselves Hugh/Uriah and Martha/Maria, and they have no obvious connection to the Schofield/Clayton family.

No sign of a baptism for Ann Clayton/Schofield in Warrington. I suppose there's always the possiblity that Clayton wasn't Jane's maiden name but her first marriage name, which would complicate things...

I shall have to see if I can find someone to check out the marriage in Manchester to see if her marital status is given. Pity the Manc Cathedral records on the Lancs OPC aren't complete; it seems ages since they added anything.

Tags
to2g7