Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 20-07-22, 22:33
Administrator

lol re the Jackson connection!

Maria Hall was from Ludlow in Shropshire, but when she was with her husband in 1851 she was from Sussex! Probably just because that's where he was from and she got dittoed! Unfortunately his name was Richard Hall. Their older children were born in Birmingham.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-07-22, 07:57

Ah well, thanks anyway. It was just straw clutching, as I said.

How did Ellen survive, I wonder? Did Joseph help her financially? I know she was living with her sister Jane by 1856, so maybe they lived together before that. Never going to know, am I!

I'm putting this in my tree because I'm convinced it's right. I can always take it out later if it's not, lol. Thank you so much for your hard work and your hunch on this. You really should be doing this for a living. I have learned two things from it, apart from the obvious.

1. (Which I knew already, but didn't apply that knowledge for 22 years) - a surname in the birth index doesn't indicate the surname someone used all their life!

2. Merry is in supernatural contact with at least two of my dead relatives.

OC
Old 21-07-22, 08:58
Administrator

lol!!

*hastily tucks ouija board away before OC sees it*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-07-22, 17:31

Great grandma signed her name at marriage, but made her mark when my grandfather was born. It has always cast a pall of doubt over the certificate.
If I had the enthusiasm, I'd buy certificates for the siblings.
Old 21-07-22, 21:21

Again clutching at straws, but....

Joseph had five children, 2 Josephs (first one died)Henry, Ellen and Pamela. His wife's parents' names were Henry and Pamela, his mother's name was Ellen, leaving Joseph. OK, perhaps the first boy was named after him....or perhaps the boy was named after Joseph's birth father. Whatever, the first boy wasn't named after James, the man who brought him up. I always thought this was because he didn't like him, but perhaps he knew the truth all along.

OC
Old 12-08-22, 07:55

Merry

My cousin has sent me a link (without any comment!) to a tree on FMP. I don't have a sub to FMP, but the bit he has linked to appears to show an unmarried Ellen Grimshaw 1822 - 1888?

Edit, durh, it's the Thomas Jeffery Family Tree. Jeffery rings a bell, that name is on my cousin's side of the tree.

OC

Last edited by Olde Crone; 12-08-22 at 08:01. Reason: Added
Old 12-08-22, 08:32
Administrator

I did a tree search on FMP for Ellen Grimshaw b 1822 and there was one match. However, I couldn't view the details because, "This matching person is currently private".

I tried adding Isle of Man for birthplace and the private entry still showed as a match, so that woud appear to be your Ellen.

I did (accidentally!) search b 1822 +/-2 years and another Ellen appeared, b 1821 in Ossett Lancs. The tree says she married James Atherton 15 Feb 1836 in Wigan Lancashire (so aged 15?) and had numerous children.

The marriage looks correct, but I found this Ellen with said husband and children in 1851 and Ellen and James on every census through to 1891 and on all of those she was b about 1817 in Orrell, Lancs. This is prob her:

Baptism: 24 Feb 1816 St Thomas, Upholland, Lancashire, England
Ellen Grimshaw - illegitimate daughter of Mary Grimshaw
Abode: Orrell
Baptised by: Jno. Bird
Register: Baptism 1813 - 1825, Page 78, Entry 624
Source: LDS Film 1657546

Old 12-08-22, 08:43

Thank you Merry, I'm fairly sure I investigated that one years ago and dismissed her for the same reasons you did.

I'll get back to my cousin but he has a much busier life than I do, so it could be weeks before he replies.

OC