Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-08-22, 13:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Interesting news on the name Burton!

William Betts' probate 1884:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...0472?pId=16175

... was proved by .... and Alfred Burton Betts of Tibenham in the same County the Nephew ....

Burton was a family name.

Do you think we have proved that Arthur Emmanuel Burton and Alfred Emmanuel Betts are one and the same person?
I think so.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-08-22, 13:19

Thanks, Kate, especially for finding Arthur Emmanuel Betts' birth registration.
Old 10-04-24, 20:51

Default Arthur Emmanuel Betts/Burton

Yes, he is the same man. Born in Bunwell. Parents William and Caroline Ann Betts, formerly Blake by marriage to first husband but widdowed, daughter of Matthew Barker of Bunwell! I don't think she was a dairy maid though, her elder children were born Blake and changed to Betts. Yes, the Burton connection was from an Uncle who was very kind to Arthur - one of Arthur's sons told me this when I did a school project as a child, and I have since done more research and live not too far from the locality. I think Arthur was married before marrying Annie and was widdowed, but that is a distant memory of being told it. He may have been in Canada for a few years and was definitely in the Cavalry at one point, again distant memorues of conversations with one of his sons. He met Annie in Romford, and I believe she worked domestically for the house he lived in, having gleaned that information from a census record. That also ties in with him marrying the cook, which is another thing said about Arthur and Annie. I remember both Arthur and Annie, and all of their children. Very interested in who is researching them. I have copies of lots of birth certificates and census information. If you would like to reveal who you are, I can share my documents, if it seems appropriate.
Old 10-04-24, 21:37

Welcome, Matti.

I was researching this family as I believe I have a DNA match with one of the descendants. I won't put details here for privacy concerns. We can communicate by private message if you'd like to learn more.

I messaged the person concerned in 2019 but I didn't receive a reply. My shared matches suggests a link on my maternal side to a couple of my lines but I haven't got back to common ancestors yet.
Old 10-04-24, 21:41

Interestingly, one of the members of one family who might be involved emigrated to Canada. The surname was Hatch.