Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-08-20, 14:48

I am researching the McDermott families of County Leitrim, and I have a page on Arthur McDermott's & Ellen Barry's family (including his son Thomas Joseph McDermott) @
https://www.adkins.ws/family.php?famid=F6527 ~~ I welcome any input or inquiries, please contact me via the link at the bottom of any of my pages or direct, Thomas.R.Adkins#gmail.com
Old 04-07-22, 21:25

Sorry to resurrect this thread from all those years ago, but at long last, I know all about my grandfather Thomas Keegan/McDermott after contacting a relative of my dad's, a very old lady, but she knew the whole story!

Yes, he was illegitimate, son of Bridget Keegan. His father was Thomas Joseph McDermott, manager of the Bush Hotel and Bridget was a chambermaid! (We thought there was a conection, didn't we Kiterunner?) The man "accepted responisiblity", attended the baptism and as was traditon then, my Thomas adopted his father's name, McDermott. Of course the difference in his and Bridget's social circumstances meant there would be no marriage!

I have now gained great uncles and aunts and great great grandparents having traced the family back to the 1700s.
The moral is, never give up!
Old 05-07-22, 09:18
Administrator

Well done, Terri!

Did you ever get a copy of Thomas's 1888 baptism?

Interesting that when he married in 1909 he said his father was a labourer. I suppose it might have been awkward to say otherwise, even though he used his father's surname.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-07-22, 09:26
Administrator

There's an article about the funeral of Thomas senr in the Donegal Independent 28 October 1916 (FMP)

Also, a death notice for his mother, Leitrim Advertiser 08 February 1906. Nothing that I could see for Arthur in 1868.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-07-22, 15:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Nothing that I could see for Arthur in 1868.
Oh, there is, in the Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette 11 January 1868. Search Arthur M'Dermott.

Old 05-07-22, 21:27

Thanks Merry. No I haven't got a copy of the baptism yet, it didn't happen in their home town (I wonder why??? ) which is why I couldn't find it, and we suspect it may have taken place in Donegal.

As you have noticed, there is masses of info to be found on the extended family.

Apparently there was apparently some kind of major "falling out" between the Keegans and the Bush McDermotts a few years after my Thomas was born, such that Bridget, Thomas's mother and her mother were done for assault on a woman who had married into the Bush McDermotts.

I am still digging!

Forgot to say, we have 2 DNA connections too!

Last edited by Terri; 05-07-22 at 21:34.