Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 05-08-11, 10:48

Default Charles Bannister (FFFFFF)

Link to wife Mary Taylor
Link to son William

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Charles Bannister

Date and place of birth
c1777 parish of Colne, Lancashire

Names of parents
John Bannister & Isobel (Isobel buried 4th May St Bartholomew, Colne “of Carrybridge) as Bannister but also noted as late Wife of Henry Walton Esq)

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
bap 11 May 1777 St Bartholomew, Colne. (Mother buried 4th May “of Carrybridge”)

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
07 Jun 1804 St Bartholomew, Colne to Mary Taylor. Both made their mark, witnesses: John Pilling & James Ellis (Ellis is a serial witness)

Occupation(s) - if any
Weaver

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1808-1814: Hollin Hall, Trawden, Lancs (children’s baptisms)

Date, place and cause of death
n/k

Date and place of burial.
n/k

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
n/k

Memorial inscription - if any
n/k

Last edited by Jill; 19-10-12 at 17:54. Reason: link added
Old 07-08-11, 17:21
Administrator

There is a Henry Walton buried at St Bartholomew, Colne, 23 Feb 1774, abode Nazedge, according to Lancs OPC, but no age given (and no "Esquire"). But there seem to be a lot of Waltons in Colne so it might not be the right one.

I've found a book which mentions a Henry Walton and family of Marsden Hall (I think):
http://www.archive.org/stream/remain...tuoft_djvu.txt

Extract:
Ambrose Walton,
his only son, born in the year 1671, and died intestate in the year 1710, having by
his wife, (married in the year 1692,) Mary, daughter and co-heiress of Henry Banastre
of Altham Esq. two sons, Henry and Ambrose, and several daughters. Of the sons,
Ambrose, of his Majesty's ship Britannia, died unmarried in the year 1741-2, aged
thirty-eight ; and Henry succeeded to the Estate as heir general of his grandfather,
father, and mother. His two sons dying issueless, the Estate was devised by the
elder, in the year 1784, to his cousin, the Rev. Richard Wroe, who assumed the sur-
name of Walton, and died on the 3d of December 1801, leaving a son, who was suc-
ceeded in the year 1845 by his sisters, as his co-heiresses.

I wonder whether your John Bannister was related to Henry Banaster of Altham? I bet there's more about this family somewhere...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-08-11, 17:28
Administrator

Oh, looking at Marsden Hall's website, Henry Walton died in 1754 and his son who died in 1784 was called Banastre Walton. Henry's wife was "a wealthy family heiress of the Altham branch of the family." Looking on FamilySearch, Banastre Walton, son of Henry, was born in 1727, so if your Isabel was Henry's wife she must have been a later wife. Or could Henry's younger son be called Henry and Isabel was the son's wife?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-08-11, 18:56

That's very interesting, I would think she was a younger Henry's widow, I can't see a widow who was an heiress marrying down!

There are Bannisters at every turn in Lancashire, mine are decended from the Bannisters of Parkhill and I have various notes from my great aunt's research linking with Bannisters of Altham, Colne Hall, Little Marsden (and the Townleys) but it's all unverified.

I have a publication from Parkhill which is now the Pendle Heritage Centre which has a family tree, but not my little bit of it. Sir Roger Bannister is descended from my lot too, but I've never discovered how.

Tags
to4g1