Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-01-21, 05:19

Default Help with a will

Francis Carre

I've become reasonably good at reading wills lately but this one has me beat.

Could someone kindly read it and transcribe only the names and relationships of the beneficiaries?

Thanks in advance
Old 18-01-21, 09:23

I've had a go at it, Toni.
I'm not sure of some of the place names.
There were lots of abbreviations.
There is a tree on Family Search with the name spelt Ellison.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/MQMW-H5F

I Francis Carre of Saint Hellen Auckland in the Countie of Durham Esq.r do make & ordain this my last will & testam.t I Give & devise unto my Nephew Mr Rob.t Elleson his heires & Assignes for ever All & every my Mannors? Mesuages tenem.ts & farmholds with all & every the Lands arable meadow & pasture grounds with their app.s whatsoever situate Lying & being within the Respective -pps? of Saint Hellen Auckland afore.sd Ran-ward? West Chickley? Darlington Dainton Il-mouth? & -?mouth or elsewhere in the said County of Durham. I also give & devise unto my said Nephew Rob.t Elleson his Exec.rs Adm.rs & Ass.s my Tenem.t or farmhold with the App.s Lying & being at Newtown in the said County I also give & devise unto my said Nephew Rob.t Elleson his heirs & Ass.s for ever All & every my Tythes of what sort or kind so ever happening & arising forth & out of my Lands or Tenem.ts within the said County of Durham I also give & devise unto my said Nephew Mr Rob.t Elleson his heirs & Ass.s for ever All & every my Messuages Tenem.ts & farmholds whatsoever with their App.s situate & lying within the Town? & County of Newcastle upon Tine from & upon the death of his mother my will alos is that my said Nephew shall & do with all convenient speed by Act of parliam.t change his name from Elleson to Carre, & also Change his coat of arms to my coat being I would have all my estate in the Name of Carre I also give & bequeath unto my Sister Barbara Elleson for & during the term of her natural life the yearly sume or paym.t of Forty pounds of Lawful money of Greate Brittaine to be paid by four quarterly paym.ts in the yeare -th? & out of my Tenmen.ts & prmises? abovemenconed the first quarterly paym.t thereof to begin & to be made at the first three months end next after my death I give & bequeath unto my Cosen Mrs Mary Macland? the Sume of one hundred pounds of Lawfull money of Greate Brittaine I also give & Bequeath unto my Cosen Mrs Molly? Elleson the sume of one hundred pounds of Like money & unto my Cosen Mrs Jane Elleson the sume eof one hundred pounds of Like money. I also give and Bequeath unto my Nephew Cuthb.t Ellseson Clerk the Sume of Twenty pounds of like lawfull money to buy him Mourning I also give & bequeath unt John Markindale the sume of Tenn pounds of like lawfull money to buy him mourning withall I also give & Bequeath unto my Servant Alice Gundy? the Sume of Fifty pounds of Like money to my Serv.t Thomas Baxter the Sum of Thirty pounds of Like money to my Serv.t Thomas Richardson the Sume of

Thirty pounds of like money to my Serv.t Ralph the Sume of Tenn pounds of like money to my -? -? and tenants & to my under Boy & to such & every of them the Sume of Five pounds A peice of Like money I also give & Bequeath unto C-? Raine the sume of Fifty pounds of like lawful money All the Rest of my goods & Chattells & p-ell? estate whatsoever I hereby give & Bequeath unto my said Nephew Rob.t Elleson whome I hereby make & Appoint sole Executor of this my last will & Testament As witness my hand & Seale the two & twentyeth day of October in the year of our Lord one thousand seaven hundred & twenty seven
Old 18-01-21, 09:47
Administrator

I think the cousin is Mrs Mary Marland, not Macland. And I think the name near the end is Chrofer, short for Christopher.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-01-21, 09:51

Thanks, Kate. I meant to put in Christopher when I checked it.
Old 18-01-21, 10:08

Elizabeth thank you so much for transcribing the whole thing and to you Kate for reading it.

The name would be Morland. The only Mary left in 1727 is his niece and she was definitely not married. The use of Mrs in this era for unmarried women is confusing.
Old 18-01-21, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Elizabeth thank you so much for transcribing the whole thing and to you Kate for reading it.

The name would be Morland. The only Mary left in 1727 is his niece and she was definitely not married. The use of Mrs in this era for unmarried women is confusing.
The use of Mrs at this time was indicative of status. It confused me with one of my female ancestors for a long time!
Old 18-01-21, 23:05

I only worked it out as there was a burial on the same page that said Mrs X, spinster.