Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 26-11-20, 01:27

Default Reading the margin

Can anyone with access to FMP please decipher the place names in the margin of Hugh Quilter Holloway's baptism 1829?
The writing in the margin refers to his sister. Oddly their father the vicar seems to have forgotten where she was born. Also odd is the fact a churchman hadn't baptised his children sooner.
Thanks in advance.
Old 26-11-20, 02:38
Administrator

I think it says

Born at Yoreton Cottage Salop and not at Wavertree near Liverpool Lancashire. The mistake was made and corrected by me

It is also a bit odd that each of the three children were born in different places, yet James Thomas Holloway was vicar of Stanton Upon Hine from 1819 until his death in 1855

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 26-11-20, 05:17

Thanks for that, Christine. I could make out most of it except for the place names.
From what I have found, it seems our vicar was an absent one some of the time. He was also involved with a chapel in London, whose name escapes me off the top of my head.
Hugh is my wife's 4x great grandfather. His planned wedding seems to have been forbidden by his father, so he came out to South Australia shortly after.