Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 22-06-16, 22:28
Administrator

Nazra Allen married Miss Tempy Lindsey 28 Sep 1820, in Laurens County:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/47...nSearchResults

But William was born earlier than this. Of course Nazra / Nazareth could have had a previous wife. He does have a male age 15-20 in his household in 1830, though we don't know whether that is William or not.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-06-16, 22:41
Administrator

Something to look at tomorrow:
http://gen.aircw.com/getperson.php?p...12841&tree=air

(see notes at the end.)

Old 23-06-16, 07:42
Administrator

Here is the marriage of Henry Gay and Huldy Allen, 25 Nov 1819 in Baldwin County, Georgia:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/47...31/edit/record

Several ancestry trees have her as Hulda(h) S Teiser or Ticer. So it looks as though she married a Mr Allen and had son William G Allen, then she married Henry Gay in 1819, then John S Drew (Rachel's father, making Hulda Rachel's stepmother) some time before 1840, then Stephen B Hester in 1851. But even if this is correct, we still don't know Mr Allen's first name. Some trees have him down as John Allen, but presumably he can't be the John Allen who is near William on the 1860 census or Hulda wouldn't have been free to remarry (well, assuming she was actually married to Mr Allen, I suppose.)

Old 23-06-16, 07:56
Administrator

This is interesting:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ott/b4974.html

Relevant part copied and pasted below:
"This indenture made this 10th day of 1846 between Huldah T. Drew of the county...of the one part and Henry Scott ...of the other part, witnesseth that the said H.T. Drew for and in consideration of whereas Henry Gay in his lifetime made a verbal gift of a tract of land containing 200 acres lying ...in the county of Emanuel...thus being the consideration of the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged ...hath granted and conveyed....grant unto Henry Scott ....all that tract of land containing 200 acres lying and being in the county of Emanuel ….unto him the said Henry Scott, his heirs and assigns together with all and singular the rights, members and appurtenances there to the same in any ...belong to his and their own proper use benefit and behalf forever in fee simple and that the said H. T. Drew for herself the said bargained premises unto the said Henry Scot...will warrant and forever defend the right and title thereof against herself in witness whereof the said Huldah T. Drew hereunto set her hand and seal the day and year above. Written and signed, sealed and delivered in the presents of us the day and year above written. Hulda T.Drew (LS) Witnessed by __? William G. Allen and Steven B. Hester. Admitted to record Jan. 10, 1852, Ezekiel Clifton CCR."

So this confirms that Hulda Drew is the same person as Huldy Allen who married Henry Gay, therefore it does look as though she was William G Allen's mother, not Rachel's.

Edit - also, if Hulda was married to Mr Allen, William's father, that rules Nazareth Allen out as he was still alive when she married Henry Gay.

Old 23-06-16, 10:12
Administrator

Just to add that some of the trees on ancestry show Hulda as the daughter of Clark Ticer who died in 1803/4, but I found a transcription of his will which lists his children and does not mention her, so those trees are most probably wrong.

Old 23-06-16, 10:31
Administrator

Various sources say that Julia Ann / Julian, wife of Nathaniel Gay (they are on the same page of the 1850 census as Hulda and family) was nee Allen and is William's sister, but I have not found anything to confirm this yet.

Old 23-06-16, 16:52
Administrator

To add a bit of confusion, here is the marriage record of a Thomas J White to a Hulda T Hester, 26 Apr 1849 in Laurens County:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/47...nSearchResults

I notice on the same image a John Allen marries a Harriet White, 18 Feb 1849. Could be the John and Harriet who were on the same census page as William, Hulda, etc on the 1860 census, although there is a big age gap between them.

Edit - found Thomas White and Huldy T White on the 1850 census and they are aged 18 and 20, but could this Huldy be a daughter of the other Hulda?

Old 23-06-16, 17:31
Administrator

Okay, here is a document dated 4 Feb 1852 granting administration of the estate of Henry Gay, deceased, to Stephen B Hester Snr, with Robert Robinson, Andrew A Fagan and William G Allen:

http://interactive.ancestry.com/8635...05778076_00309

Old 23-06-16, 19:42

Kiterunner, I will need some time to look over every possible angles you mentioned. I am glad I might have a few possible leads or not. Thank you.
Old 27-11-20, 21:32

Melnick, I’m curious to know if you’ve learned more about Hulda T. Hester. I know this is an older post and you may not see this, but thought I’d ask just in case. I’m researching the Thomas White that is mentioned above as being the spouse of Hulda T. Hester. There has been much confusion around this couple as they are both commonly misidentified as another person in the area with the same name. Was hoping you’d found some clues that might help in my research as well. Thanks!