Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-01-21, 10:44

Hi Mauriac, good to know I wasn't the only person intrigued by the author.

With any individual, the amount of information we can discover about them will depend on the length of time they have been in the public view, whether they were still in the public view when they died, if they were self-publicists and whether they had children.

Lorna only wrote four novels, then lived in the US for several years, and had no children (that we know of!)

Novelists today rely on publicity to get published, to get read, but plenty in the past used pen-names, particularly women, specifically to protect their privacy.

I have acquired another of Lorna's books on the strength of the first, but I suspect that if she had made oodles of money or received rave reviews, she might have continued and the books continued in print.
Old 12-01-21, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Hi Mauriac, good to know I wasn't the only person intrigued by the author.

With any individual, the amount of information we can discover about them will depend on the length of time they have been in the public view, whether they were still in the public view when they died, if they were self-publicists and whether they had children.

Lorna only wrote four novels, then lived in the US for several years, and had no children (that we know of!)

Novelists today rely on publicity to get published, to get read, but plenty in the past used pen-names, particularly women, specifically to protect their privacy.

I have acquired another of Lorna's books on the strength of the first, but I suspect that if she had made oodles of money or received rave reviews, she might have continued and the books continued in print.
Yes, people who lived prior to the advent of the internet aren't always easy to find out about. The book I am reading suggests a very intelligent author with a lively wit, which made me want to know more about her
Old 12-01-21, 13:10

Precisely! And I find contemporary novels far more interesting than historical novels, which make mistakes we won't even recognise.

The only thing that puzzled me is that they must all have been travelling with huge quantities of fags, since they all seemed to chain smoke
Old 12-01-21, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Precisely! And I find contemporary novels far more interesting than historical novels, which make mistakes we won't even recognise.

The only thing that puzzled me is that they must all have been travelling with huge quantities of fags, since they all seemed to chain smoke
And in these 'golden age' detective novels they all have loads of servants - lucky things!