Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-05-18, 09:54

Default Charlotte Story

Charlotte Story will

This is the will of Charlotte Story, nee Minshull, widow of George Story (sometimes Storey), daughter of John.

I can find neither birth nor marriage for Charlotte, I only know/suspect her father's name as I found a pedigree for the Story family, in The history and antiquities of the county palatine Of Durham Vol 1, which says her father was John Minshull of Bradley co. Chester.

Charlotte died in June 1822 and her husband, George in Feb 1822. I can not find a will for George.

In Charlote's will she mentions, if I read it correctly, that George Sampson, her son-in-law, holds some sort of annuity for her, there is somehing to do with money from a John Minshull of Swansea, Glamorgan (her father possibly) and something to do with a court case between Minshull and Drake.
The court case is interesting as her daughter, Maria, married a John Drake in 1805, although it could be a different family.

Googling John Minshull of Swansea Glamorgan shows a will for a death in 1822 but I can't tie it to Charlotte.

So I'd like any or all of the following answered:
1, her birth
2. her marriage
3. is the John Minshull in her will dead
4. any details about the court case
5. a will for husband George
6. any details about the funds held by George Sampson and John Minshull

Not sure if any of this is possible but thank you for reading this far.
Old 27-05-18, 10:57
Administrator

TNA's catalogue has an entry for a chancery case Minshull v Drake, date 1816, plaintiff John Minshull, defendant John Drake. Reference: C 13/3017/20

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 27-05-18, 11:01
Administrator

You may have this already, but Charlotte Story of Mile End Old Town was buried 27 Jun 1822 at St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney, age 66. So she was born about 1756.

Old 27-05-18, 11:50
Administrator

There is a John Minshull of Swansea who died in 1827, age 68 (so born about 1759) but his will doesn't seem to be any help.

Old 27-05-18, 11:51

thanks Kate. I'll have a look at the TNA entry and I had found the burial. I was just looking for a baptism in Bradley for Charlotte without luck, although I'm not sure I had the right parish and there is nothing to say she was born there, just that her father was living there when she supposedly married.
Old 27-05-18, 15:02
Administrator

Did George definitely die in 1822, Toni? FMP has an entry for a George Story in the Index to Death Duty Registers but it is 1821. I haven't got a sub to view it. Also a John Minshull, Cheshire, in 1814 which would be worth looking at.
Edit - I just realised that FMP also have a database called "Cheshire Wills and Probate" and it shows that 1814 John Minshull as a heel maker of Nantwich, so probably not the right one, but you could look through all the Minshull wills on there if you have a sub.

Old 27-05-18, 23:29

Kate George definitely did died in 1822. There are 2 wills for George's in 1821 but they are not him.

I've haven't been through FMP yet. I was googing the court case, without any luck. The TNA site says it will be over 8 pounds and 3 weeks before they can tell me if the papers are able to be copied.Then I have to pay who knows how much and wait again to see them. I just bet the John Drake is OHs 3g grandfather and John Minshull is John Drake's grandfather-in-law. Now to prove it.
Old 28-05-18, 02:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
There is a John Minshull of Swansea who died in 1827, age 68 (so born about 1759) but his will doesn't seem to be any help.
I'm wondering if this is a brother maybe?

Whoever he is there are 2 court cases over this will. It looks like the executors did not correctly pay the 3 women who were to inherit from John Minshull.
Old 30-12-20, 23:00

Still trying to find Charlotte's parents but I think John of Swansea is most likely her brother. He married Jane Craven, daughter of Rev John and Mary Craven. Her brother was Lord Craven and due to him having no children, her nephew later became Lord as well. Jane died in 1807 and John later had 2 children to his housekeeper and they are the beneficiaries of John's will, along with a Mr Lewis who appears to be some sort of adopted son.

I still can't find a marriage for Charlotte and I can't find a will for a potential father but John is such a common name and not all people mention their children by name. I'm beginning to wonder if John as the father is a red herring and I should be searching elsewhere.
Old 11-03-21, 21:31

Charlotte Minshull
1756–1822
BIRTH ABOUT 1756 • Bradley, Cheshire, England
DEATH 1822 • Mile End Old Town, Stepney, Middlesex, England
4th great-grandmother
Charlotte's parents were John Minshull
BIRTH Chester, Cheshire, England
DEATH Unknown
5th Great grandfather, and
Mary Howell
5th great-grandmother

Not researched as yet.

George Story's great grandmother was Margaret Hedworth (1676-1721) through whose veins ran the blood of French, Scottish, English and Spanish Kings.