Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-09-19, 22:44

Default Who is William/Philip William Tracey?

This man is proving very difficult to find, the only information I have is that he is named as the father at the baptisms of -
Lizzie Blanche Tracey 6 Jul 1858 Twickenham (William Tracey/Mary Julia Tracey)
Alice Jane Tracey 11 Dec 1859 Old Church St Pancras (Philip William Tracey/Mary Jane Tracey)
Frances Mabel Tracey 13 Nov 1862 Old Church St Pancras (Philip William Tracey/Mary Jane Tracey)

All the birth registrations have mmn Thomas but I have not been able to find a marriage to Mary Jane Thomas.
He is not with Mary Jane and the children in 1861 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...52486?backurl=

Any help appreciated
Old 28-09-19, 00:35

Have you tried Ireland? Tracey is a common Irish name.
Old 28-09-19, 08:43
Administrator

Mary seems to have married Clememt W Strong in 1866 at Brighton. Her name is given as Mary Jane Thomas, so quite likely never to have been married to Mr Trac(e)y.

Clement William Strong died in 1869. There are two entries in the probate register for him (no will - just administration). No mention of a wife in either of those, just a brother and sister. Looks as if his estate was not dealt with fully for a long time (the second entry being 20 years after his death). The valuation of his estate changed dramatically between the two entries!

I haven't found Mary Strong in 1871 as yet, but this looks like her in 1881:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...cklabel=Return

with Alice J 21 and Frances M Strong 20 both born Surrey.

I found the above from looking for stuff on people with forenames Lizzie Blanche (very uncommon combo!) and turned up this probate which also mentions Alice Jane.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...26589805/facts

From there I found a tree with Clement William Strong etc. The tree has nothing more about Mr Tracy except that the tree owner has presumed he died before 1866, which he may or may not have done!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-09-19, 09:05

Mary is not poor in 1861: she is supported by a fundholding, has a cook, and a monthly nurse to help with the baby.

I see that (Philip) William Tracey is described as a gentleman. I wonder if that is actually his name. One wonders if there is another establishment, far from the seclusion of Twickenham, where he is happily esconced with wife and family?
Old 28-09-19, 09:09
Administrator

There's an obit for Clement Strong - Illustrated London News 16 October 1869 (FMP), but it only mentions his army career.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-09-19, 09:13
Administrator

Frances Mabel 'Strong' married in 1885 (LMA Ancestry) and named her father as Clement Strong, Colonel Coldstream Guards.

Old 28-09-19, 09:21

The image for Mary's marriage to Clement is online at family search, but you have to browse to find it.

I note that in 1841, Mary's father is not at home. He is a mineralogist!
Old 28-09-19, 09:23

I feel DNA test are required!

It would be interesting to see where Clement was c 1861 and at the conception of the girls.
Old 28-09-19, 09:37
Administrator

Alice Strong is with her widowed sister Frances M Hadden in 1939:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...nSearchResults

None of which helps with Mr Tracy. I agree with Phoenix about him possibly having another family elsewhere. Interesting that he didn't think of including the name Philip until after the baptism of his first child with Mary!

Also interesting that the first child was baptised near where they (or Mary anyway) were living. The other two away from Richmond.

Old 28-09-19, 09:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I feel DNA test are required!

It would be interesting to see where Clement was c 1861 and at the conception of the girls.
lol!

In 1861 he's a visitor at Digswell, Herts. Unmarried Lieut. Col. Coldstream Guards. b Westerham, Kent.

So, not especially helpful, except that he was free to marry....