Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-06-11, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Not sure if you have this?

WALTER JOHNSON
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: HARRIOT KAY Family
Marriage: 09 NOV 1829 Glossop, Derby, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

And 1851, Yorke Row, Glossop Derbyshire:

Walter Johnson head m 50 gen labourer b ?? Northants somewhere???
Harriot Johnson wife m 40 b Yorks Penistone
Mary Johnson dau 18
Martha Johnson dau 16
Walter Johnson son 13
John Johnson son 10
James Johnson son 5
Ben Johnson son 2

Last two children b Glossop, rest Penistone
No Merry...I have never found a marriage for Harriot/Harriet....because I was looking in Penistone....is this my Harriot ?....oohh...I am glad I posted for them this morning....if this was your tree would you add this family ??...I have read it 3 times now and it has to be my Harriot doesn`t it...no other Harriot Kay b Penistone 1810.....if this is my Harriot - thank you very very much...some more family to add ....and research ......what do you think ??....add them ??
allan
allan
Old 05-06-11, 08:40
Administrator

I would be much more inclined to add the Johnsons to my tree than make the assumption that Ann Kay might have been born about 1790 in Penistone!

Harriot Johnson is showing up in Glossop through to 1881 but Walter is only on the 1851. They are together in Penistone in 1841, but Ancestry has them transcribed as Jenson.

Had you realised the Penistone marriages are not on the IGI for the period 1810 -1813 so if Ann Kay was married after she gave birth to Harriet she also might be hiding on the census with a birthplace and age to help you.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-06-11, 08:42
Administrator

Glossop and Penistone are only 14 miles apart and Walter was a railway labourer in 1841, so he might have been fairly well travelled!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-06-11, 08:48

Quote:
I would be much more inclined to add the Johnsons to my tree than make the assumption that Ann Kay might have been born about 1790 in Penistone!

Harriot Johnson is showing up in Glossop through to 1881 but Walter is only on the 1851. They are together in Penistone in 1841, but Ancestry has them transcribed as Jenson.

Had you realised the Penistone marriages are not on the IGI for the period 1810 -1813 so if Ann Kay was married after she gave birth to Harriet she also might be hiding on the census with a birthplace and age to help you.
No Merry...I have been on Record Pilot and didn`t realise Penistone wasn`t transcribed for that period....would Advanced search on IGI be worth a look at ?...yes obviously, stupid question...thanks Merry...I looked for Harriot in 1881 census as Harriot Johnson b 1810 but couldn`t find her...I will have another look giving +/- 5 years ...cheers Merry....allan
Old 05-06-11, 09:04
Administrator

9 Bank St Glossop

Harriott JOHNSON Head W Female 70 Thurlstone, York, England Housekeeper At Home
Walter JOHNSON Son U Male 44 Thurlstone, York, England General Labourer

Old 05-06-11, 09:08

Thanks Merry...why Thurlstone ?...is that the largest town by Penistone I presume ?
allan
Old 05-06-11, 09:12

Well...OC - MERRY...thankyou both very much...a successful day thanks to you...
SEVEN new family members.....great day.....going to do the roast dinner now...thanx again ...you are stars....
allan
Old 05-06-11, 09:13
Administrator

I haven't time to type this properly, but there's an IGI marriage in 1814 of Ann Kay to George Farrah at High Hoyland which is v close to Penistone. Found them with son Isaac in 1841/51. In 1851 Ann is b Clayton which I think is West Clayton which is 5 miles from Penistone and I think she was 67 years.

Of course I can't find baptisms for West Clayton anywhere to see if there was an Ann Kay b there at the right time.

Probably all a red herring. You need to find Penistone marriages.

Old 05-06-11, 18:52

Quote:
I haven't time to type this properly, but there's an IGI marriage in 1814 of Ann Kay to George Farrah at High Hoyland which is v close to Penistone. Found them with son Isaac in 1841/51. In 1851 Ann is b Clayton which I think is West Clayton which is 5 miles from Penistone and I think she was 67 years.

Of course I can't find baptisms for West Clayton anywhere to see if there was an Ann Kay b there at the right time.

Probably all a red herring. You need to find Penistone marriages.
West Clayton currently goes under the name of Clayton West, for some reason. Don't known when/if the change took place.