Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-15, 22:54

Default Alfred Osborn Hopwood Litherland

Alfred was born in Leeds in 1877, baptised in Stepney. He attended St Swithins Industrial School Winchester for a while and married Annie Delaney in 1891.Their son Leo was born in 1901 in Leeds. In 1905 the family emigrated to Canada (York County Toronto). In 1916 he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force 116 Btn Of the Canadian Infantry. His last letter to his wife was dated July 21st he wrote "I am going in the advance with the best heart possible tomorrow will be a great day for our battalion. I guess a few of us will shake tomorrow. It will soon be all over whichever way it looks to be. Don't take this letter too seriously everybody doesn't get killed or injured, so you see I'vr the same chance as everyone else." Two days later he was reported missing in action and presumed dad in the trenches, southwest of Avion, France on 23 July 1917. He was 40 years old. Memorial at Vimy, France. He left a wife and four children, his baby girl had been born since he went overseas and she received a photo from her daddy, be she never got to meet him.