Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 31-05-19, 13:43

Thank you both very interesting.

Now Priscilla has another name change!

Priscilla May Pope born 1841 Hartest
Priscilla May Thrasher married to Robert Thrasher (no marriage found), 1871 census with daughter Eliza
Priscilla Torplow/Triplow 1891 census
Priscilla Jezard 1899 London Electoral Register 133 Finborough Road
May Jezard 1899 Post Office Directory 133 Finborough Road apartments

Her daughters Eliza, Alice, Louisa and Ruth regularly change their names also and I suspect granddaughter Violet also changed her name, as grandson Horace had too! Even grandson Edward Leslie Court is known as Leslie by 1911.

Not even sure if Robert Thrasher actually is 'Robert Thrasher'!

Another illegitimate child living at 133 Finborough Road while Priscilla lived at the property was baptised at the same church where Horace and Violet (both illegitimate) were baptised.

Just found out from Kensington Local Archives Priscilla owned 133 Finborough Road, which entitled her to vote at local elections.
Her husband Robert may have left a legacy (but she is renting in 1881 and 1891).
In 1891 Priscilla and her daughters are dressmakers, who could become quite wealthy making costumes for the theatre and lavish fancy dress balls held by the aristocracy so she is then able to buy a property

I wonder now then if the daughters sold the house in 1900 and shared the proceeds between them, Eliza's daughter Violet is in the boarding school with Alice/Grace's son Horace in 1901, Alice/Grace is living on own means in a boarding house (thought an allowance from the father before, perhaps now proceeds from house) in 1901, Louisa is working as a servant in 1901 but marries in 1905 and Ruth marries in 1900.

I read an article years ago about baptisms and illegitimate children and some scandal involving this in the 1890's in the Kensington area but unfortunately can't find again, I wonder if Priscilla was involved in some sort of scam?
Old 31-05-19, 14:42
Administrator

Quote:
Not even sure if Robert Thrasher actually is 'Robert Thrasher'!
That's what I thought when I saw his place of birth was the same as the street where he was living on his single census entry!

Have you found him on any other census?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-05-19, 14:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Karen View Post
Her husband Robert may have left a legacy (but she is renting in 1881 and 1891).
There is no entry in the National Probate Calendar for Robert Thrasher / Thresher around 1879.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 31-05-19, 14:49
Administrator

Quote:
Another illegitimate child living at 133 Finborough Road while Priscilla lived at the property was baptised at the same church where Horace and Violet (both illegitimate) were baptised.
Who was that?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-05-19, 14:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
That's what I thought when I saw his place of birth was the same as the street where he was living on his single census entry!

This could be him in 1841, in Hampshire, "Y" for born in county:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...=successSource

Southampton as a birthplace on the 1871 census could possibly mean the county, i.e. Hampshire, rather than the town itself.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 31-05-19, 15:42
Administrator

Quote:
Southampton as a birthplace on the 1871 census could possibly mean the county, i.e. Hampshire, rather than the town itself.
True.

Old 31-05-19, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post

Ha, ha - that's exactly what I thought too - keeping up with cover stories is hard work!

For sure only found Robert in the 1871 census with wife Priscilla and daughter Eliza.

Cannot find Robert in 1851 census or 1861 census.

Robert Thrasher a servant in 1841 census is a possibility but with no marriage certificate and baptism to cross-reference his family will never know or be able to go back any further

Southampton became a county borough under the Local Government Act 1888
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Southampton
Southampton was known as a region rather than just a city before this

The 1879 death for Robert Thrasher we assume is our Robert as Priscilla is a widow by 1881 - on Robert's death certificate he is a fireman - the fire brigade say he is not a fireman as they have no records of him - so another alternative as the family is theatrical is working as a theatre fireman.

In 1851 census and 1861 census Robert could have been abroad as a sailor and when back on land hired by theatres as a stagehand being a rigger as sailors knew how to handle ropes and tie knots and also had sewing skills from repairing sails, ropes and nets so also useful to the wardrobe department.

Drury Lane Theatre Tour
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...ne-345027.html
We are shown entrances to other tunnels (long since closed off), one leading to Nell's house and one to the river. The latter was built so that stage "crew" - so called because most were sailors - could reach the theatre easily. The maritime connection also explains terms such as "docks" for scenery and "rigging" the stage, and the superstition that you mustn't whistle in the theatre: it interfered with the sailors' communication.

Thanks Merry and Kiterunner

Last edited by Lorraine Karen; 31-05-19 at 23:18.
Old 01-06-19, 06:52
Administrator

Quote:
Robert's death certificate he is a fireman
If he did come from the Southampton area he might have been a ship's fireman before he ended up in London. Might explain his absence from the census.

Quote:
The 1879 death for Robert Thrasher we assume is our Robert as Priscilla is a widow by 1881
What address is on the death cert and who registered his death?

Old 01-06-19, 08:31

Hello Kiterunner

Robert Thrasher died 1879
On his death certificate he died at the Charing Cross Hospital, Strand with no family present and his occupation a fireman
https://www.imperial.nhs.uk/about-us...re/our-history
With no family present to cross-reference and his job being a fireman wonder if he is our Robert but Priscilla is a widow by 1881

On another forum a member has found Priscilla buying 133 Finborough Road at an auction in 1895 - just by coincidence on the auction notice I spotted Messrs Lewin & Company of 32 Southampton Street, Strand, solicitors.

Robert Thrasher lived in Southampton Street in the 1871 census with wife Priscilla and daughter Eliza - on the 1871 census, his daughters baptisms, birth certificates and marriage certificates indicate he worked in legal occupations (secretary, process server, messenger), wonder now if he worked for Messrs Lewin & Company and if the solicitors advised theatres and actors in the Strand/Covent Garden area.

When Robert Thrasher dies in 1879 he is working as a fireman, presumably a theatre fireman, as the fire brigade have no record of him. Those in the Victorian legal professions were known to change careers to go and work in the theatre.

So from sailor, to legal, to theatre - is that possible?

Last edited by Lorraine Karen; 01-06-19 at 08:40.
Old 01-06-19, 08:40

More missing Jezards!

When Priscilla dies in 1900 her 'daughter-in-law' Ellen Jezard is with her - Priscilla doesn't have a son to have a daughter-in-law - who is Ellen! Priscilla is the widow of 'John Jezard' but he doesn't exist either, aaaggghhh - this family!