Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-10-12, 21:15

Default Who is John Alexander?

My 4 x great grandfather William Sparrow, of Dickleburgh, Norfolk married Rebecca Barthorpe, of Heigham 26/10/1812 at Heigham, Norfolk. The witnesses were John & Sarah Alexander. The marriage was by licence & the bondsman was John Alexander, a butcher of Heigham, he signed with his mark.

William Sparrow's mother was Elizabeth Alexander born ca 1767 buried Sept 1827 at Needham, Norfolk. I don't know where she was born & i've not managed to find her marriage to William's father Robert Sparrow.

I'm guessing John & Elizabeth Alexander are related, brother & sister perhaps?

There's a John Alexander, a butcher & his wife Sarah Cutting baptising children at Heigham 1806 - 1817 (Freereg). A widowed John Alexander married spinster Sarah Cutting at Great Yarmouth 16/10/1797, John signed with his mark. John & Sarah had children baptised at Great Yarmouth 1798 - 1804 (Familysearch).

There are lots of Alexander's in Norfolk & i'm getting abit lost. If anyone can help me find a connection with Alexander's i'd be very grateful!
Old 17-10-12, 22:06

Hmmm, just found a marriage at Yarmouth of Robert Sparham & Elizabeth Alexander 30/6/1788, Robert signed Robt Sparham. The first child I have for Robert & Elizabeth Sparrow was baptised at Needham 29/3/1789. Think this might be the missing marriage i've been trying to find for about 7 years!
Old 18-10-12, 02:07

Well done Jay.

Recently I found a couple of missing baptisms further away from the town I thought they should have been in. I had been looking for many years (maybe 10) for the baptism and just stumbled across them because I put in the wrong parameters.

And you wonder how you missed it all those other times you searched !!!!!

the message is never give up

Di