Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-12-20, 10:23
Administrator

Quote:
I believe that she was born in Dublin 10th February 1889, Father John Kelly, mother Mary ?
I know you have Mary's 1914 marriage cert as you said it has father John, dec'd on it. I just need to know:

is "Mary ?" in the above quote just the forename of John's wife from the 1901 census, or did you already know Mary Kathleen's mother's first name was Mary from some other source?

What about the date of birth? What is your source for that? (EDIT - I've seen that is the date given at her death registration, but perhaps you had it from somewhere other than that?)

You didn't say who Mary K married, but I'm guessing it was Albert Cooper in Leeds? From the 1939 Register Mary's date of birth is given as 11 Feb 1893. Now this could be wrong and the date you mention could be right, however, if 1893 (or any other close year!) is actualy correct then could that mean you have the wrong family in 1901? I'm not saying you have gone wrong - a lot depends on whether I'm looking at the right people in 1939 and where you have your information from for her birth being 1889. Plus, maybe you knew the names of her siblings before you started searching.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-12-20, 10:46

There is a Public Member Tree on Ancestry for this family:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...20413321/facts
Old 18-12-20, 11:42

Thank you all for the help and ideas, have a lot of work ahead, but you never know might get lucky.
Old 18-12-20, 11:57

Turn it on its head: if family history were all plain sailing, it would be boring!

If you haven't done so already, ask all your family members (not just the very oldest, but children and grandchildren as well) what they know about the family.

And ask the questions that you won't find out online: how people dressed, their favourite colours, games played at Christmas, where they went for holidays, names of neighbours, what football team they supported. Not only does that give a texture and a context for your family, the odd story may well provide extra clues to take the family back.
Old 18-12-20, 13:47

Hunting around the church records on Irish Genealogy, I rather fancied this cluster:

All children of John Kelly & Mary Brophy
1. Agnes Xtina Kelly, b.16.Jan 1885; 56 Georges St. Sponsor Catherine Kelly
2. John Kelly, b.2 Jan 1887, bap 3 Jan 1887; 19 W Esset St
3. Mary Catherine Kelly, b. 10 Feb 1889, bap 11 Feb 1889; 11 W. Essex St
4. Martin Joseph Kelly, b. 28 Dec 1890, bap 1 Jan 1891;

Also a possible which may refine a possible Kelly/Brophy marriage
Twins Christina & Christopher Kelly, b. 21 Dec 1877, bap 26 Dec 187; 94 St Clanbrazil st
All Dublin

Most of these have no images available but I have taken screen shots where I can and can forward them to you if you pM an email address. Otherwise, look for yourself on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie
Search Church Records and use the advanced search facility to look for baptisms for Kelly, father John, mother Mary Brophy in Dublin for the 1800s
Old 18-12-20, 14:05

OK....how about this?

18 Nov 1877 at the RC Parish Church, Harrington St
Joannes Kelly, of 3 Lennox Lane, s/o Jacob Kelly and Cath. Boe [?] married Maria Braphy [Brophy] of 24 Clan Brassil St, d/o John Braphy[Brophy] & Elizabeth Phelan

Looks like a shotgun wedding, but not sure if there are more births to fill in the gaps between the twins and Agnes. Doesn't look like the twins survived, but will go back to look at the deaths.
Old 18-12-20, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I know you have Mary's 1914 marriage cert as you said it has father John, dec'd on it. I just need to know:

is "Mary ?" in the above quote just the forename of John's wife from the 1901 census, or did you already know Mary Kathleen's mother's first name was Mary from some other source?

What about the date of birth? What is your source for that? (EDIT - I've seen that is the date given at her death registration, but perhaps you had it from somewhere other than that?)

You didn't say who Mary K married, but I'm guessing it was Albert Cooper in Leeds? From the 1939 Register Mary's date of birth is given as 11 Feb 1893. Now this could be wrong and the date you mention could be right, however, if 1893 (or any other close year!) is actualy correct then could that mean you have the wrong family in 1901? I'm not saying you have gone wrong - a lot depends on whether I'm looking at the right people in 1939 and where you have your information from for her birth being 1889. Plus, maybe you knew the names of her siblings before you started searching.
Mary in the above quote is what I got from the 1901 census, no idea who her mother was. Date of birth again from the 1901 census, but looking at the marriage certificate her given age does not match that date. States 22 years old in October 1914 so would make birth year around 1892.
I did know that she had a sister called Agnus and that is what made me think I had the right one.
Possibly have the wrong family as she was living in Leeds when married and only 22.
Once again thank you for help, this is hard.
Old 18-12-20, 17:08
Administrator

Ok, that's interesting.

Any family as witnesses to the marriage?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-12-20, 17:13
Administrator

Did you get "born in Dublin" from somehwere, or did you already know that from family?

Old 18-12-20, 17:16
Administrator

Do you know what happened to the sister, Agnes? Do you have a married surname for her? That could help a lot!