Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 21-12-20, 08:20

Are they both recorded in GRO, Bev? I wonder whether the RC ceremony included a civil ceremony.

Today, some religions will have a civil ceremony on one day, and a religious ceremony on another.
Old 21-12-20, 08:36
Administrator

The Catholic marriage doesn't seem to be in the GRO index. I looked at the one before and after and they don't show either. The one before (July 1918) has a GRO ref for Q1 1918, same as the Kelly/Shaw marriage, but the entry after (also July) doesn't have any GRO record in 1918.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-12-20, 08:44

There is a Joseph Kelly/ Shaw marriage listed:
Q1 1918; RD: Liverpool; vol:8b;page #:87
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...=successSource

Darn - I'm being an echo again. That would be the C/E marriage I guess. Perhaps RC marriages didn't ;count' then. I know when my fellow married his girl in a RC ceremony in Brisbane, it didn't show up in the official records. He got married again in Barracks a year later....and as the first son was born a couple of days later, I always assumed it was a shotgun affair. It took a fellow genealogist to unearth the earlier wedding.
Joseph seems to have done the dual marriage bit in reverse. Perhaps the first one to satisfy the Establishment and the second one to appease the family

Last edited by Macbev; 21-12-20 at 08:49.
Old 21-12-20, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Are they both recorded in GRO, Bev? I wonder whether the RC ceremony included a civil ceremony.

Today, some religions will have a civil ceremony on one day, and a religious ceremony on another.

Yes - but these two ceremonies are months apart .
Old 21-12-20, 09:36
Administrator

Quote:
Perhaps RC marriages didn't ;count' then.
The RC marriages certainly should be in the GRO indexes and I have seen other people have two ceremonies (Cof E and RC) and both are listed. At the start of civil registration a registrar would have been required to attend an RC marriage, but I don't know when/if that changed.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-12-20, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbev View Post
John Kelly, s/o John Kelly & Mary Brophy, married Catharine Golding 9 Jan 1916 at St Mary Highfield St Liverpool

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer...175?pId=809868

It seems to be a descendant of this branch of the family that has a public tree on Ancestry' although they do not have all of the children shown

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree...10074576/facts
I have had a look at this and they do not mention an Agnes who I know for sure existed.
Old 21-12-20, 11:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper70 View Post
I have had a look at this and they do not mention an Agnes who I know for sure existed.
Lots of people don't bother about adding all the side branches to their trees or at least if they upload a tree to ancestry they don't include everything, so I wouldn't worry about it!

Old 21-12-20, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper70 View Post

The tree doesn't mention Patrick either. It might be worth your while to contact the tree owner just to compare notes. At least this tree seems to be well sourced, not like so many which are products of wishful thinking and heated imaginations
Old 21-12-20, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbev View Post
The tree doesn't mention Patrick either. It might be worth your while to contact the tree owner just to compare notes. At least this tree seems to be well sourced, not like so many which are products of wishful thinking and heated imaginations
Thank you have sent a message to the owner. All of you have been such big helps.