Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-09-09, 15:41
maggie_4_7

There's a burial for a Mary Hay 7th March 1822 at St James Clerkenwell is that her and do you have that date?

Edit to say: Sorry I should have said she's 65 years old, some Hays coming up in burials at St James Clerkenwell. Is this where you think the family originated about that time?

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 27-09-09 at 15:45.
Old 27-09-09, 15:56

I have found some marriages at St James Clerkenwell but a lot later than the period you want.

Are you unable to go to the LMA?
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 27-09-09, 16:13
maggie_4_7

Okay I have now seen the original image of George's baptism born Jan 30 1810 baptism Feb 18 1810 to George and Mary Hay at St James Clerkenwell. Problem is are they actually from there or did they just land there at some point?

I don't suppose you know that because if you did you wouldn't be asking us!

I don't suppose you have any inkling to George (the father) age! Because if they died in or about 1823 were they young?
Old 27-09-09, 17:17

Thanks Maggie

The only firm details i have are the baptism date of George jnr, his three marriage certs (all confirm his father is called George and a clock and watch maker) plus the details from the will for George snr in 1823.

George jnr has been found on all the census returns that apply, all give Clerkenwell or London as pob and all give 1809/10 as his year of birth.

I really have to work on assumptions beyond that, assuming George snr married c1809 and was of age gives a yob of 1788 but it could easily be as far back as the 1760's.

Being realistic i'm looking for a marriage between George Hay and Mary unknown sometime around or before 1810. Whether his parents/siblings come to light based on the details from the will (the mention of Barbara Hay and b-i-l Thomas Bates) is another matter but they are the only clues i have.

As for the LMA Nell, it's about a 750 mile round trip to visit from here, with only a limited amount of info i'm trying to piece things together before heading down the route of a possible visit or paying for a records search.
Old 27-09-09, 17:21

The only other angle i can think of relates to Thomas Bates, publican of the "Three Grapes" pub at some point, the problem there is that Thomas Bates is an even more common name than George Hay. Presumably if he is b-i-l he married one of the female members of the Hay family, that would give me another potential avenue but knowing my luck she would be either Mary or Ann
Old 27-09-09, 19:54

Ok, too far!

I can only say that in my research the further back in time you go, the less far geographically people are likely to have travelled. Husband has Clerkenwell ancestors too, who all lived and worked around Clerkenwell/Finsbury/City of London areas. I've found some info on the Old Bailey online (witnesses sometimes, not always in the dock!!!) as well as the usual parish registers/censuses. Trade directories might also help.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire