Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-03-22, 14:39
maggie_4_7

Default Hard to Read Age and Occupation

Can anyone read George White's age and occupation, with wife Mary at 2 Cottage Place?

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...NDcxOTgwNTkuMA..

Edited to change link to .co.uk

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 13-03-22 at 18:05.
Old 13-03-22, 14:58
Administrator

His age looks like 21 to me although Ancestry have transcribed it as 31. Occupation: Waiter at Public House.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-03-22, 17:05
Administrator

The link didn't work for me, but I found them anyway and I agree with Kate. Also, they were both aged 30 on the following census.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-03-22, 17:57
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
His age looks like 21 to me although Ancestry have transcribed it as 31. Occupation: Waiter at Public House.
Thanks I would never have got that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
The link didn't work for me, but I found them anyway and I agree with Kate. Also, they were both aged 30 on the following census.
Thank you.

I couldn't find them on another census.
Old 13-03-22, 18:01

After finally, and proudly, making out Chelsea Out Pensioner, I realised I was looking at the previous household

So, wot Kite says!
Old 13-03-22, 19:49
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Have you got a link for this census.
Old 13-03-22, 21:23
Administrator

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...f&pId=12331047

George and Mary married in 1860:

Marriages Dec 1860
Crossley Mary Ann Poplar 1c 1053
White George Poplar 1c 1053

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-03-22, 05:56
maggie_4_7

Quote:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...f&pId=12331047

George and Mary married in 1860:

Marriages Dec 1860
Crossley Mary Ann Poplar 1c 1053
White George Poplar 1c 1053
Thank you. I still don't know if I have the right George, it's probably a fruitless quest.
Old 14-03-22, 06:37
Administrator

Because your 1861 link didn't work for me I had to look elsewhere to find out who you were looking for and that came from an old thread saying this:

Quote:
Found Thomas' birth under Sayer born 13 Nov 1861 • 2 Cottage Place mother Caroline Sayer father George Wyatt bricklayer. Haven't found Thomas again but he was registered in Shoreditch but 2 Cottage Place was in Poplar and a George White is living there with his wife Mary in 1861!
I didn't really study the opening post in that thread at the time, because I was only interested in finding on which census you were looking for George White transcribed as 31 with a wife Mary.

Now I've read it again, still probably not properly, it sounds as if you are thinking 2 Cottage Place in Shoreditch is the same address as 2 Cottage Place in Poplar (Bromley St Leonard), but surely it can't be? I also haven't yet understood why you were interested in George White in any case? I wasn't sure if it was him you were following or just the person at the place where Thomas Sayer was born later in the year?

If it's the address, then Thomas was probably born where these people were living:

1861 census, 2, Cottage Place Hoxton, St Leonards Shoreditch, London & Middlesex

Jeremiah Banes head married 40 porter b Colchester, Essex
Esther Banes wife married 44 b Shoreditch, Middlesex
Thomas Banes son 14 Errand b Aldgate, Middlesex
Esther Banes dau unm 19 shirt maker b St George in the East, Middlesex

Maybe I've missed the point, but the opening post on the old thread was too difficult for before all my morning mugs of tea.

Old 14-03-22, 06:58
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Because your 1861 link didn't work for me I had to look elsewhere to find out who you were looking for and that came from an old thread saying this:

I didn't really study the opening post in that thread at the time, because I was only interested in finding on which census you were looking for George White transcribed as 31 with a wife Mary.

Now I've read it again, still probably not properly, it sounds as if you are thinking 2 Cottage Place in Shoreditch is the same address as 2 Cottage Place in Poplar (Bromley St Leonard), but surely it can't be? I also haven't yet understood why you were interested in George White in any case? I wasn't sure if it was him you were following or just the person at the place where Thomas Sayer was born later in the year?

If it's the address, then Thomas was probably born where these people were living:

1861 census, 2, Cottage Place Hoxton, St Leonards Shoreditch, London & Middlesex

Jeremiah Banes head married 40 porter b Colchester, Essex
Esther Banes wife married 44 b Shoreditch, Middlesex
Thomas Banes son 14 Errand b Aldgate, Middlesex
Esther Banes dau unm 19 shirt maker b St George in the East, Middlesex

Maybe I've missed the point, but the opening post on the old thread was too difficult for before all my morning mugs of tea.
I was interested because a George Wyatt is named as Thomas Sayer's father and Thomas was born at 2 Cottage Place Shoreditch. I could not find a Cottage Place in Shoreditch.

But you have found one so this is the wrong George, have you a link for that 1861 census please, Merry.