Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 09-06-19, 15:05

Default William Trevithick

What I know for sure is:

William lived in Cornwall and married Ann Watkins Pengilly nee Allen on 9 Jun 1834 at Kenwyn Cornwall.

They had 2 children Thomas b 1835 Truro and Elizabeth Ann Watkins Trevithick b 1837 Kenwyn.

William died Apr 1838 at St Cements and was buried in Kenwyn as were his wife in 1874 and her first husband in 1830. William was aged 32 when he died. To me he is likely born about 1806.

All ancestry trees state he was born in 1802 in Sithney to father Joseph and various mothers. There are no baptisms for a William Trevithick in Sithney nor Kenwyn between 1802 and 1806, I checked the images.

I have a DNA match that looks good but having no birth I'm stuck.

The relevant details are : Thomas Trevithick b 1806 (bap St Gluvias) m Sukey Bassett, nee Paynter. Thomas' parents are John b 1777 at Tywardreath and Honor nee Perrow b 1782.

That may not be the connection but if anyone fancies a look and can see any interesting births for my William, I'd greatly appreciate it. I can't get familysearch to work properly. I can find an image but not use the search facility for records.
Old 09-06-19, 15:51
Administrator

I got the search to work on FamilySearch, but I didn't find any likely entries, sorry. I don't know whether they have finished indexing the Cornwall PR's yet though.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-06-19, 00:30

How did you get it to work? If I search for William it gives me fathers, not children. I could find his daughter's baptism but none for a child called William.
Old 10-06-19, 09:41
Administrator

If it had found any baptisms for a child called William, they would be at or near the top of the results list, ahead of baptisms of children of William.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-06-19, 04:30

It must have been not working the other day. I could not get any baptisms for a child, just the father's name. I know William's son, Thomas, was on the site as I have that as a source but I could not get his results either.

I think I need to come up with another solution. Even if I found a baptism for William, how do I know it is my William? There must be at least 2 given ancestry trees have more than one set of parents.

I also don't understand why everyone thinks he was born in 1802 when everyone has copied his death certificate that someone has made public and it clearly says he was 32 in 1838 and to me that means he was born in 1806.

Sorry just raving.