Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 25-05-19, 23:12

There were 9, possibly 10, children. The first 2 or 3 were born in Birmingham (confusion with the first 2, called Charles - they might be the same baby) and one died at Birmingham and the other, Horatio, in 1831 at Whitby.

James became a Merchant Seaman and I rather lose sight of him, but he might have died at Middlesborough.

Emma Louisa survived and married a chap called Edward Binns. They had 14 children but ended up living apart. She died in Leeds.

Mary, born 1826, died in 1834.

Sarah Susanna, born 1828, married twice. With her first husband, Aaron Harding, she lived at Bishop Auckland. After he died she returned to Whitby and later married James Reed.

Adam Horatio Theophilus (!) was born in 1831. He was a shoemaker for a while but went into the army. He didn't achieve much, never married, and died in Whitby in 1889.

There was a son Edward Edwards Lamb, born posthumously in 1834, so although he had the Lamb name his father wasn't Charles. He died in 1835.

William was therefore the only one really to prosper. His widow Elizabeth married a man 20 years her senior after William's death. He was a prosperous man from the Storm family of Robin's Hood Bay.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 27-05-19 at 15:04.
Old 26-05-19, 08:03
Administrator

Very interesting Elizabeth.

My first reaction was to wonder if William's wife was the reason he was successful! I don't mean that she had money - just that she may have encouraged (pushed?) him to make something of himself.

I have several families in my tree where one child is significantly more successful (at least financially) than the others. Unlike your husband, I'm always descended from one of the other children!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 26-05-19, 09:27

That's an interesting question, Merry.

I have always thought that William "made something of himself" during his absence from Whitby, probably abroad. He was already 41 when he married Elizabeth in 1871, the same year as the census. I don't know when he reappeared at Whitby, but he was a "Master Tobacconist" which implies some degree of knowledge and training.

Elizabeth was 31 when she married. Her father was a cordwainer, and her brothers did moderately well. Two of Elizabeth's brothers were executors of William Lamb's will, along with her. As William died in 1881 they were only married 10 years. Only one son, another William Henry, survived. A daughter Sarah died as an infant.

The Lamb family were never wealthy, but in Huntingdon they had a reasonably comfortable life and are well documented there. William Henry's great-grandmother inherited land in Wales through her sister (subject of a Chancery case). Charles Lamb was apprenticed to a gunsmith, probably in Birmingham, where his wife Sarah Chambers was born. We know from her second marriage in 1842 that her father Joseph Chambers was a gunsmith too. There is a Chambers family of gunsmiths in Birmingham.

The gross amount of William's personal estate was £ 1,110 13 11. Not a fortune, but a healthy sum in 1881.