Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 02-02-15, 13:00
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
And the parish register entry for Francis Jefferies' marriage is on FMP, showing his father to be James Jeffries, Auctioner.
Oh great!!

Thanks. Going to take a look at that.....

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-02-15, 13:10
Administrator

Lovely!!

I just had a funny five minutes, whilst I noticed Francis didn't say his father was deceased and then realised Francis is young enough to be the son of the younger James (the one who was married to Lydia and was also a land surveyor which might or might not also mean he was an auctioneer!) but luckily I don't see how that can work if Francis' mother was married to Thomas Drake at the same time as James jr was married to Lydia Bryant. (of course we don't KNOW Francis and his sister, Mary Ann were step children in the Drake household, because it was the 1841 census, but I'm sticking with that for now.)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-02-15, 13:17
Administrator

Kate, would you mind dreadfully checking this baptism on your CD (I have booked my car in for next Monday! )

13 Apr 1823 Jane parents James and Elizabeth Jefferies father's occ tailor, abode Mangotsfield Common

to see if, firstly, the child's name is Jane as I have it as James on one record and Jane on another!) and secondly, if there is anything to give the age of the child (there was on some of the others).

Old 02-02-15, 13:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Kate, would you mind dreadfully checking this baptism on your CD (I have booked my car in for next Monday! )

13 Apr 1823 Jane parents James and Elizabeth Jefferies father's occ tailor, abode Mangotsfield Common

to see if, firstly, the child's name is Jane as I have it as James on one record and Jane on another!) and secondly, if there is anything to give the age of the child (there was on some of the others).
It is Jane on the CD but it is only a transcription so can't be sure it's correct. No date of birth shown for Jane although it does show one for Anne, baptised on the same day, so it looks likely that Jane was a baby at the time.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-02-15, 13:46
Administrator

Ok, that's what I though you would say!

I've just realised - it's obvious really - Jane was the child of the new wife, but same father so two children bap together!! New wife would be either Eliz Amesbury or Redmore and Eliz Sandill died in 1820.

Why is it that no single event splits those two marriages?

Old 02-02-15, 13:50
Administrator

Sorry, I forgot to say thank you

Old 02-02-15, 13:51
Administrator

You're welcome! Yes, I was thinking that she might be the daughter of the second Elizabeth.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-02-15, 14:09
Administrator

I feel much happier about that part now.

You should see some of the ancestry trees on this family - some of the worst ever! Can't say I'm surprised really!

Old 03-02-15, 06:04
Administrator

My gut feeling is James' second marriage was to Elizabeth An(e)sbury. Looking at the census, of all the Amesburys in Gloucestershire the biggest % are in Mangotsfield and James had to manage to meet her in the first place (though I suppose his job(s) could have meant he wasn't completely bound to one place). Then there's that Sarah Amesbury living with James' son too.

There are a few trees with the children of Richard Amesbury and Sarah Strange on Ancestry. Those who have included more than one child have the usual smattering of some with families and some with just a baptism. I wanted their dau Betsey (b 1800) to be the Elizabeth who married James and then Thomas Drake, but most trees have her dying circa 1895, so very old, but with no details in between. A little odd?

Old 03-02-15, 08:00
Administrator

Actually, that makes no sense when I consider the James who died in 1823 aged 32 was also married to Elizabeth and also lived in Mangotsfield! I suppose he could have been married longer than a year or two though.

Tags
to4g5