Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-11-19, 19:00

This may be completely irrelevant but the abode jumped out - yes, I know it's Aberdeen and not Glasgow, but....

Baptism All Saints Wigan 18 Mar 1867

Robert Calland born 17 Feb, son of Robert Calland and Dorothy, Collier. Abode Aberdeen.

Robert Calland m Dorothy Baldwin 1862.

OC
Edited to say - 8th child born in Ashton in Makerfield.

Last edited by Olde Crone; 17-11-19 at 20:08.
Old 18-11-19, 04:27

Do you think it a line to pursue ? Thanks
Old 18-11-19, 04:29

HI old crone it may be worth a shot ,I'll look into it ,yes and Aberdeen inpsnt Glasgow but it's Scotland . Thanks
Old 18-11-19, 04:41

IM Not on ancestry I only use family search and parish clerks , if you can see anything with regards to this I would be grateful .as I'm stuck with the Scottish connection . I do remember staying with a relatives s in Scotland , and my mum often talked about an aunt or relative when I was growing up ,but I can't find any links only that my great great grandfather was born in Glasgow . He moved back down in the 1860s . So I can't find any other connection . Thanks
Old 18-11-19, 07:25
Administrator

It's weird as the baby was born in Feb in Wigan district and baptised in the same area almost exactly a month later, yet with the abode Aberdeen. I wonder if it was actually just the father who was away for a short time?

I'm not sure how a short time living in Aberdeen makes a difference to anything? On Robert's marriage certificate his father is Wlliam Calland, collier.

You should be able to find all this information below from FS and Lancs OPC.

Robert's age on the census returns is all over the place (1828-1837!), possibly because Dorothy may have been older than him. Having said that, this seems to be his baptism:

Baptism: 22 Feb 1835 All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England
Robert Calland - 3 Son of William Calland & Elizabeth
Born: 1 Apr 1834
Abode: Scholes

Robert is with his parents in 1851 and 1861. There is good 'proof' this is the correct Robert as in 1861 he has four year old Sarah Baldwin in the same house (granddaughter to the householder, William) and she is Sarah Callard, daughter to Robert, in 1871. Robert's father, William, was born about 1805/7 in Haigh according to those two census records.

Of course, I can't see a clear-cut baptism for this William, but I'm sure he will be related to your line in some way, so his children and grandchildren will presumably be cousins of some sort to your line.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-11-19, 13:24

Merry

I was thinking that Robert may have been away working in Aberdeen and staying with relatives. He obviously returned home, but maybe the relatives stayed in Scotland and moved sideways to Glasgow. There are millions of Callen/Callands in Scotland unfortunately.

OC
Old 18-11-19, 15:19
Administrator

I don't think Qwackers has ever told us who her aunt was who lived in Scotland.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-11-19, 12:29

Hi ,I don't know what the aunts name was all I remember that the children we played with in Scotland were called cherry and bimbo now they are unusual first names and that's all I know the house was on the side of a lake , my dad worked for a Scottish firm around Aberdeen which may be coincidental then maybe not thanks maybe you have found a connection it's how to piece it all together thanks
Old 19-11-19, 16:32

I doubt if Bimbo was a proper name, sounds like a pet name. No one called Bimbo anything registered on Scotland's People. Lots of females called Cherry, none called Callen or Calland.

OC
Old 20-11-19, 07:21

so we seem to be stuck now , I realise that people travelled in the 1850 , but it makes me wonder why a couple would move from Wigan where there were lots of mines etc to move to Glasgow to work . Like William Grimshaw and Ellen Callen . Unless one of them had relatives , that's my thoughts . Maybe it was common to move up there at that time . Let me know your thoughts ,as there are lots of Callens callands even Grimshaws in Glasgow .