Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-11-19, 03:41

Default George Bentall: gentleman porter

I am researching an obscure story about a possible 16th century relative, maybe a grandson of my 10 x great grandfather, (William Bent(h)all).

George Bentall was for at least 6 years the head of security in charge of making sure that Mary Queen of Scots could not escape from her house arrest or meet with potential conspirators trying to overthrow Queen Elizabeth.

William's son, John was my 9 x GGF. An elder son, Richard, married Jane Ludlowe and died in 1575. They had plenty of children - maybe 15 - including possibly George.

I have written up the easily found details of George's life and some speculation about how he might be connected to my family tree - see attached.

I would be very interested if anyone has an idea about to connect these dots.
Attached Files
File Type: zip George Bentall Gentleman Porter.zip (39.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-11-19, 11:22
Administrator

I don't think this was mentioned in your document, sorry if I missed it:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...cklabel=Return

Nuncupative will of Richard Bentall of the parish of St John the Baptiste within the Cittie of Bristowe, merchant. Made on the 26 Jun 1587 and proved at the PCC 13 Feb 1588. Mentions his wife Katherin and his brother Rowland Bentall. I don't think Rowland was mentioned in your document.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-11-19, 16:45
Administrator

And here is the will of a Rowland Bentall, gent, late servant to the Lord Bishop of Gloucester, written 20 Nov 1592 (proved at Gloucestershire):
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...=successSource

I think this is another nuncupative one. Mentions his kinsman Henry Fowler and his two "bretherne" Maurice Bentall and John Bentall.

So if Richard Bentall of Bristol was a brother of George and Francis Bentall, it looks as though they also had brothers Rowland, Maurice, and John.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-11-19, 23:51

Thank you so much, Kiterunner: you have struck gold and provided the missing data. I have not maintained my Ancestry subscription, but will find those wills.

The family tree prepared by my great uncle Frank and published in the Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society in 1887, names the sons of Richard Bentall, , lord of the manor of Bentall, and his wife Jane as:
- Richard, married to Katherine Cottrell, with at least two children (Richard and John)
- Morice (buried 7 October 1609 at Much Wenlock)
- Michael
- William
- George
- Francis
- Rowland
- John
- Edward
- Lawrence who married Cicely Forster. He was buried at Much Wenlock on 8 November 1603 and she on 12 November 1612. His son Edward was killed accidentally in 1602 by a brother-in-law, and the estate was inherited by ...
- John, who married Joyce Forster.

There were also 4 daughters, one of whom married Richard Fowler and had children Henry and Margery.

I think this is decisive. It is fascinating that there were then two careers open to younger sons of gentlemen: either become a merchant, or go into service with someone higher up in the social rankings.