Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 20-10-12, 21:20

Just been looking at the ancestry tree & it does look interesting, particularly as it gives a maiden name for Mary (Stevenson) and a death date for James (1831), suggesting that Rebecca wasn't his. I am going to try contacting the owner in the hope they can tell me where the info came from.
Old 21-10-12, 11:14

Mary was aged 50 in 1841, therefore she was born c1785-1791 (accounting for rounding of age). If she married at full age, then she could have married from about 1805/6.

We have identified the birth of Ann in 1820, which Mary was aged betwwen 29 and 35 at the time of Ann's birth.

Assuming the couple married in Louth (and that's not certain), there are two marriages to consider.

1 James Smith and Mary Hodgson, 21 Feb 1805.
2 James Smith and Mary Bywater, 4 Oct 1814.

If either of these women are the correct Mary, there is quite a gap between marrying and the birth of children.

Looking at the Louth baptisms to James and Mary Smith on FreeReg, there are three to James and Mary Smith in 1817, 1818 and 1820, where the occupation of the father is given as sailor/meriner. Same couple? Unlikely, as this couple had a child baptised on 27 December 1820. James the tilemaker/brickmaker's daughter, Ann, was baptised on 9 July 1820.

Having searched further, I feel we need to discount the birth of Edward Smith in 1826 to James and Mary Smith. The birth lists the father's occupation as bricklayer. However, I have found another baptism for a child of this couple dated 12 March 1823. As John Free Smith was baptised in March 1823, this is a different James and Mary Smith.

I'm going to search surrounding parishes to see if there are any more births and a potential marriage.
Old 21-10-12, 12:11

Family Search has the following marriage: James Smith to Mary Stephenson, 1819, Caistor registration district.

Nettleton - where some of Free Smith's children were born - is at the bottom of the hill from Caistor. Laceby is only a few miles away, too.

This ties in with the public tree on Ancestry.

My concern is that the tree on Ancestry has place of birth for Mary Stephenson as New Holland, but we have Elizabeth baptised in Louth two days later. Mind you, when chatting about this with the OH, he reminded me that I was baptised in a totally different place from where I was born.

But she did name her first child as Free Longstaff, which makes me feel that we have the right Mary.

Now, how about her parents...
Old 21-10-12, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn the Forest Fan View Post
Just been looking at the ancestry tree & it does look interesting, particularly as it gives a maiden name for Mary (Stevenson) and a death date for James (1831), suggesting that Rebecca wasn't his. I am going to try contacting the owner in the hope they can tell me where the info came from.
Did you check the tree that had the photos of Betsy and Thomas?
Old 21-10-12, 12:20

Thomas Longstaff married Elizabeth Smith in Louth J/A/S 1849.
Old 21-10-12, 12:21

Quote:
Ah! Wonder if this is they mysterious Cammack connection?
Old 21-10-12, 13:11

I think you meant that Elizabeth was down as being born in New Holland, not Mary , when I checked the census, 2 of them had her as coming from Louth & another New Bolingbroke!
That marriage certainly fits, as we don't know that Mary came from Louth, they may just have settled their prior to their marriage.
I emailed the tree owner & am awaiting a reply. Un fortunately a Smith Stephenson marriage doesn't explain the use of the name "free"
Old 21-10-12, 13:31

Quote:
I think you meant that Elizabeth was down as being born in New Holland, not Mary
Oops! Blush.

The tree on Ancestry with the photos of Betsy Smith and Thomas Longstaff has exact dates, so let's hope the owner gets back in touch. Here's hopiing that the owner has taken the info from certificates.
Old 21-10-12, 13:52

Quote:
Unfortunately a Smith Stephenson marriage doesn't explain the use of the name "free"
Checking birth registrations on Ancestry, they also have a son named Benjamin Smith Longstaff born in Caistor reg district in 1856. He turns up on various New Zealand electoral roles in Taranaki from about 1880.
Old 21-10-12, 13:57

There are a few trees with her on, some giving New Holland as place of birth & others giving Louth, some with parents & some without. The pics are on a few trees & seem to have been copied from one to another, so it is hard to see where they originated.

Tags
to4g64