Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-06-19, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
When is John Jezard mentioned? If the only reference is on Priscilla's death certificate and Ellen is providing the details, then Ellen's father probably was a John. If Ellen wasn't married to/cohabiting with a Jezzard, all bets are off. There are innumerable errors/lies on my family certificates that I know about (three separate ones on sib's) which would confuse future researchers. Priscilla could not change any details she was unhappy about.
Hello Phoenix

John Jezard is only mentioned in 1900 on Priscilla's death certificate

When Priscilla's daughter Ruth Thrasher/Ruth Jezard/Ruby Jezard marries in 1900 she calls her father Robert Jezard

Perhaps Priscilla had a common law husband John Jezard after Robert Thrasher died - who I also think was a common law husband
Old 01-06-19, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Was your copy of Priscilla's death certificate a scan / photocopy of the original handwritten certificate, Lorraine, or was it a version which had been copied out or typed up by the register office? If the latter then I can easily imagine them mistranscribing Eliza as Ellen.
Hi Kiterunner

The death certificate is a copy of the original handwritten certificate and clearly says Ellen Jezard - but mistakes can be made - seen those too - on top of all these name changes!
Old 01-06-19, 11:06

Quote:
Does Triplow appear in a single instance on the 1891 census? My mind is working in the same way as Kite's, and having seen gross mistranscriptions where the enumerator is writing up the badly scribbled household forms into his book, Triplow and Thrasher could be muddled if an h from the line below made the s or a look like a p.
One family history site comes up with Triplow, another family history site comes up with Torplow - Triplow and Torplow ONLY come up on the 1891 census

Priscilla must be trying to hide - she says she comes from Cardiff when she is born in Hartest, Suffolk
Old 01-06-19, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
In general people named Jezard seem to live in Kent (not the London part) except for Henry John Jezard who had a child in Strand registration district in 1901. He was a railway porter in 1901/1911 and on his 1899 marriage cert. He doesn't feel right at all for your theatrical family (plus he is only the age of Priscilla's children)!!

In 1901 Henry John is living at Peabody Buildings and I've seen that address whilst looking for stuff for this thread, but I don't know what now.
Thank you, I know they are a conundrum!
Old 01-06-19, 11:14
Administrator

It does actually say Triplow on the census page, although at first glance it looked like Torplow. If you look carefully there are dots over the i's.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-06-19, 11:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
It does actually say Triplow on the census page, although at first glance it looked like Torplow. If you look carefully there are dots over the i's.
That's exactly what I was going to say!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-06-19, 11:29

I also feel that Cardiff could be a misreading of Hartest. Once put the suggestion of Cardiff into someone's mind, and Suff or even no county at all has to be South Wales.
Old 01-06-19, 11:49
Administrator

Quote:
Priscilla must be trying to hide - she says she comes from Cardiff when she is born in Hartest, Suffolk .
My previous post about this doesn't see to be here! I agree with Phoenix - we can't see the householders handwriting for 1881, so we don't know what scribble the enumerator turned into Triplow and Cardiff.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-06-19, 12:11

Yes there do seem to be posts missing from later conversations
Old 01-06-19, 17:44

Good afternoon all

This is the story of mystery and intrigue - another one!
Please help find Claude Henry Uhthoff born 1897 in the 1901 census or could have been sent abroad to live on the continent or to America

Horace Thrasher (later known as Horace Courtenay) was baptised with his cousin Violet Jezard in 1896 while living at 133 Finborough Road with their grandmother Priscilla Thrasher (maiden name Pope) but now known as Priscilla Jezard.

Both Horace and Violet have false parents on their birth certificates and baptisms and are baptised outside of their parish.

Priscilla bought 133 Finborough Road in 1895 at auction and is renting apartments as Mrs May Jezard.

I wanted to try and find further Thrasher/Jezard/Courtenay children living in Finborough Road where Violet had been born or Archel Road where Horace had been born.

Instead I found another baby Claude Henry Uhthoff who had been born at 150 Finborough Road and baptised at the same church as Horace and Violet when living at 133 Finborough Road.

Violet is born in 1890 but not found in the 1891 census, she is at a boarding school with Horace in the 1901 census and then disappears.

Horace's father according to family rumour was an 'illustrious member of the aristocracy, a person of considerable note' and he is found age 7 in the 1901 census with Violet at the girls boarding school - he hated it there!

Claude Henry Uhthoff is born in 1897
Father Enrique Anthony Uhthoff is born in 1875
Mother Annie Louisa Brooks is born abt 1880
Step-father Arthur Henry Parnell is born in 1876

Great-grandfather Henry Roman Uhthoff dies in 1884 leaving a fortune of £166,665 to his son Ludolfe Enrique Uhthoff
http://www.in2013dollars.com/1884-GB...?amount=116665
That is £13 million pounds in today's money

1891 census Ludolfe Enrique is a wealthy foreign merchant from Mexico, a Spanish subject and his son Enrique Anthony Uhthoff is living with the family

1891 census Annie is living at home with her parents Edwin and Jane

1891 Arthur is at home with his parents, his father Henry is a corn merchant and miller

1897 Claude Henry Uhthoff is born to Enrique Anthony Uhthoff a merchants clerk and to Annie Louisa Uhthoff formerly Brooks
THERE IS NO MARRIAGE
BORN AT 150 FINBOROUGH ROAD

1897 baptism Claude Henry Uhthoff to unmarried parents Enrique Uhthoff and Annie Uhthoff, Henry is a family name
LIVING AT 133 FINBOROUGH ROAD, APARTMENTS OF MRS MAY JEZARD AND HER MANY OTHER NAMES BESIDES

1901 census Enrique is nowhere to be found but travels to and from the US frequently, could also be on the continent or America with Claude

1901 census Annie is living in residential chambers with other servants before her marriage to Arthur

1901 census Arthur is nowhere to be found but travels to and from the US frequently

1901 census Claude is not living with Annie's parents Edwin and Jane or living with the grandfather Ludolfe or father Enrique or other Uhthoff family in ENGLAND

1901 Annie Louisa Brooks marries Arthur Henry Parnell

1903 grandfather Ludolfe dies and leaves his estate of £14,841 to son Enrique, Ludolfe died in Switzerland
DID THE FAMILY TAKE CLAUDE ABROAD TO THE CONTINENT
http://www.in2013dollars.com/1903-GB...7?amount=14841
That is £1.7 million pounds in today's money

1905 US census Claude is found in St Joseph's School, New Jersey

Annie Louisa Parnell and Claude Henry Parnell regularly travel between England and the US to meet Mr Parnell

1906 Enrique marries Kathleen Collinson

1910 US census Arthur, Annie and Claude are together and Arthur declares that he and Annie have been married for 14 years when they have actually been married for 9 years to protect his wife and step-son from any shame, they have a Japanese servant

Enrique regularly travels from England to the US as he is a foreign merchant but could also be seeing his son

1914 Annie sadly dies and Arthur does not remarry

1923 Claude marries Hilda Mary Chare and Claude states his father is Arthur, the kind man who married his mother and not Enrique, does he know who his birth father is

1939 census Enrique is a retired bank manager living in Surrey, his wife has a lady's companion

1939 census Claude is a press photographer and living in Surrey, did he know about his birth father Enrique, did they meet in Surrey

1948 Enrique dies leaving his estate of £3,275 to his widow Kathleen
http://www.in2013dollars.com/1903-GB...48?amount=3275
That's almost £11,000 in today's money

So 133 Finborough Road is a hot bed of intrigue!

Violet born 1890 does not appear in the 1891 census
Horace born 1893 changes his name by 1901 census
Claude born 1897 does not appear in the 1901 census
All live at 133 Finborough Road
All were baptised at the same church
Violet's father we have absolutely no idea, an aristocrat, met through the theatre?
Horace's father is rumoured to be of the aristocracy, met through the theatre, we'll just never know
Claude's father Enrique came from a wealthy family

I seem to remember reading an article about children being baptised to parents who were pretending to be married and being paid to keep quiet in the Kensington area in late Victorian times but alas can't find again, read a long, long time ago, just as starting this research and didn't realise the significance then.

It's been a fascinating journey, thanks Violet, Horace and Claude.

Thanks Genealogists' Forum too for all your help and interest!

Last edited by Lorraine Karen; 01-06-19 at 18:11.