Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 01-05-14, 15:51
Administrator

Default Reginald Hugh Bristow

My grandfather's half-brother. Born 15 Dec 1890 at 17 Bingfield Street, Islington, London, the son of Robert Salter Bristow and Jessie Clark. I have never quite been able to put together his full army career into a coherent narrative and unfortunately there don't seem to be any surviving service papers for him. I would love help sorting out what order his record goes in!

On the 1911 census Reginald is in Brighton with his family, age 20, "Army reservist - rejoining".

Silver War Badge Record
The Silver War Badge Roll shows that Private Reginald H Bristow, no 373089, enlisted in the army 20th Aug 1908 and was discharged from the Labour Corps 22 Mar 1919, due to sickness.

There are two medal index cards for him:
Medal Index Card 1

Medal Index Card 2

The first one shows the following details:
BRISTOW Reginald H,
E Surr R Pte 11976
Lab C Pte 373089
Victory and British War Medals, SWB List LC/5712.

and the second one:
Campaign:- 1914
BRISTOW R. H
6th Cav Fd Amb ASC, Drv (=Driver) T/26911
Essex R 58216
14 Star plus Clasp & Roses
Transfd 8/7/18
Forfeited under RW (article 1236(a) service restored & star issued ...
Qualifying date 6/10/14

Correspondence:
O I/C Labour Corps forwards application for 1914 Star on behalf of Mr R H Bristow 19/2/20. Applic for Clasp 6/5/21
Address: 12 Kingsland Green, Dalston, E8
83 Marquess Rd, Essex Rd, Islington, N1.

Reginald married for the first time on the 19th Apr 1916 at the Register Office in Belfast. His occupation is Driver, ASC, and his residence 23 Mackey Street, Belfast. I have never been able to find out whether he was actually serving in the army in Belfast or if he had decided to go and live there and was "home" on leave. On his child's birth certificate, registered 26 May 1916, also in Belfast, his occupation is Soldier and residence 42 Dover St. Then when he registered his wife's death 30 Jul 1918, still in Belfast, his address is 320 Shankill Road, but his wife's residence (not where she died) is 82 Weir St. Reginald is listed at 82 Weir Street in the 1917 and 1918 editions of Kelly's Directory.

Reginald married for the second time at Hackney Register Office in London on the 12 Sep 1919 and his occupation is shown as Ex Army Furniture Dealer, address 12 Kingsland Passage, Kingsland Green. Then on his son's birth cert of 11th Nov 1919, his occupation is Private Essex Regiment stationed at Warley. On the son's death cert dated 14th Jan 1920, Reginald is a Furniture Dealer. He was not the informant on either of these certs. Then on his daughter's birth cert 13 Apr 1921, he is a housepainter's labourer of 83 Marquis Rd, Islington.

I understand that the numbers, refs, etc on the second medal card are saying that he was considered a deserter and then reinstated, but I don't know exactly when and where he deserted.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-05-14, 13:32
Administrator

Ooh, I've found his name on a list in the new records on FMP. It's not quite clear what the list is, and there is only part of the page, but it is some kind of list of casualties or injuries etc and his entry says:

26911 Dvr. Bristow, R. H. A.S.C. Loss of sight

Old 06-11-14, 08:56
Administrator

Now the actual medal rolls are up on ancestry. I have seen the E Surrey / Labour Corps medal roll entry and the SWB entry for Reginald before, but I don't remember ever seeing the ASC / Essex Regt one. His details were crossed out and then written back in, presumably when his medals were forfeited and then reinstated, but it says "deleted in error" on the roll. It says he was transferred from the ASC to the Essex Regiment on the 8th Jul 1918, i.e. just three weeks before his first wife's death.
Medal Rolls on ancestry