Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-08-20, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
And no proof that those two boys were Clara's sons, without certificates.
They do look possible, but as they're not my main line I can't really justify getting certs.

But I would like to know what happened to Arthur; he's been bugging me for years!
Old 01-09-20, 19:35

Well, the death cert of the Arthur Day who died Mile End 1889 has arrived, and he's not mine. This one was a blacksmith, and newspaper reports of the inquest confirm he wasn't my man.

The search for Arthur continues...
Old 01-09-20, 21:03
Administrator

It's a bit of a mystery really.

If he did die between, say, 1881 (census) and 1890 (Clara's remarriage), ignoring the daughter, Ethel, he seems to have had in 1886, there are hardly any registrations to choose from if his age is correct to withn two or three years. So, if he didn't die, then is he in an institution or overseas and so not showing on the census?

Also, who is Mr Marsh?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-09-20, 11:00

I suspect there must be something going on. This line seem on the surface to be pretty conventional - far more so than some of my other lines - but from other things I've found I think they just disguised it better.
Old 02-09-20, 11:20
Administrator

I did wonder if Arthur Day and Mr Marsh are one and the same. However, there are no sensible Arthur Marsh deaths, and I couldn't really get inspired to look hard, because it's not all that likely that they are the same person.

I agree there is probably something going on! I was only able to track Ethel because she helpfully had several forenames and she stuck with those most of the time.

I'm really surprised just how common the name Arthur Day was in the 1850s. I didn't think the name Arthur was so common until a few decades later.

I did wonder if Clara met Oliver Freemantle in the course of his work as a police officer!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-09-20, 13:46

Not sure if this is relevant, but in 1911 there's an Arthur Day, inmate, age 59, widower, in Erdington (edit: it's Aston Union Workhouse). That's where Ethel and Clara were living:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...2&pId=26308837

Looks like he's listed as an imbecile.

Last edited by Lindsay; 02-09-20 at 13:55. Reason: exra info
Old 02-09-20, 16:02
Administrator

Very interesting! I can't see any Arthur Day or A.D. in Warwickshire in 1901.

Needless to say, there's no death in Warwickshire for this man!

Old 03-09-20, 11:45

No, nor can I. Perhaps he's a red herring - as they didn't know his place of birth or occupation in 1911, I'm wondering how accurate the rest of his info is.

It's interesting that Ethel considered herself a Freemantle rather than a Day. Perhaps she didn't actually know her birth name.
Old 27-10-20, 10:55

Just a quick update in case anyone else comes looking for Arthur.

I still haven't found any trace of him after the birth of Ethel Constance Victoria in 1886, but I have her birth cert and Arthur was the informant. So, it seems he was still on the scene at that point.

Marsh, the name Clara Sophia used on her marriage to Mr Freemantle in 1890, was her mother's maiden name. Obviously she didn't want to use the name Day, which suggests that perhaps Arthur was still alive.

Wherever he was, he hid himself well!