Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 18-02-11, 12:54
Administrator

Default John Robinson

Name - "official" name and what they were known as John Robinson
Date and place of birth About 1810 Workington or Branthwaite, Cumberland
Names of parents Don't know
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Not found
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 22 Sep 1836 St John's, Workington, to Elizabeth Allan
Occupation(s) - if any Currier
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1841 - Elizabeth Street, Workington, Cumberland
1851 - Brewery Houses, Workington, Cumberland
1861 - Ladies Walk, Workington
1871 - 78 Griffin Street, Workington
1881 - Soapery, Workington

Date, place and cause of death 18 June 1882 Workington, not got cause
Date and place of burial. Not found
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Administration with will granted 18 Feb 1885 to son John Robinson, "one of the residuary legatees substituted". Presumably wife Elizabeth was named as executor, but she died in 1884. Personal estate £703 4s 11d.
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

There is a George Robinson, age 35 to 39, ag lab born Cumberland, with the family in 1841, who I would guess was probably John's brother.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-02-11, 19:56
Administrator

Hmm, I've found a George Robinson age 56, ag lab, born Branthwaite on the 1861 census with a Joseph Robinson age 43, farmer at Lorton, and his (Joseph's) family. Could Joseph be another brother? Or nephew? In 1841 Joseph is with a Joshua Robinson, farmer, age 45, so it could be that Joshua is John and George's brother. If I'm looking at the right people!

Old 18-02-11, 20:06
Administrator

And so I don't forget, it seems that Branthwaite was in a parish called Dean. Which I'm guessing isn't going to be easy to google for! (And there are millions of Robinsons born Dean on the 1851 census)

Edit - possible baptism for John - 18 Jan 1811 at Dean, Cumberland, parents John and Ann, from FamilySearch, but there is no brother George, Joshua or Joseph on there.
Edit - a John Robinson born Dean age 52 comes up on the 1861 census so that baptism is probably this John and not mine.

Old 24-09-17, 23:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Hmm, I've found a George Robinson age 56, ag lab, born Branthwaite on the 1861 census with a Joseph Robinson age 43, farmer at Lorton, and his (Joseph's) family. Could Joseph be another brother? Or nephew? In 1841 Joseph is with a Joshua Robinson, farmer, age 45, so it could be that Joshua is John and George's brother. If I'm looking at the right people!
Just found that the Joseph who was with Joshua in 1841 is not the same Joseph who was with George in 1861, because the first one is still unmarried and with Joshua in 1851 but "my" Joseph is married with a family by then. The Joseph who is with George in 1861 is age 43, born Cumberland Mosser and in 1851 is age 33 born Cumberland Wood.

There are way too many Robinsons!

Edit - so "my" Joseph could be the one baptised 29 Mar 1818 at Mosser, son of William and Elizabeth.

Tags
to3g15