Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 25-11-18, 20:14

Default Who do you put in an online tree?

I have just discovered one grandfather on Family Search. Okay, he died fifty years ago, but I find it deeply distasteful that someone has joined up the dots and put it out there.
Old 25-11-18, 20:52

I sit firmly on the fence here!

I don't have a public tree. My private tree doesn't have any living people on it. However, about an hour ago, I added a close relative who died last year. (I only just found out today).

Yes, very upset to find my parents on someone's public tree, still alive according to them. I think I am upset because they were MY PARENTS but were only a distant un-met twig to someone else.

OC
Old 25-11-18, 21:29
Administrator

I just googled my own birth name and I appear on four trees (two created by the same person) with my OH and children.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-11-18, 21:49
Administrator

I must say I'm not remotely bothered if I find my dead immediate relations on other people's trees as long as the details are correct. I have other people's dead close relatives on my tree (though not online), so I can't complain about mine being on other trees.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-11-18, 22:37
Administrator

I wait a while (maybe about a year) after someone's death before adding them to my tree.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-11-18, 00:28

While I regard the idea that someone goes to mormon heaven simply through the actions of a living relation as nonsense, I still feel indignant on my grandfather's behalf that anyone should presume to think that that was what he would have wanted. I certainly know how his daughters would have reacted.

I don't think I would have reacted so strongly to finding him on any other online tree.

Personally, I don't like showing anyone under a century dead on an online tree, though I appreciate that the dead have no rights.

I'm horrified, Merry, that anyone should dare to presume to put your children online.
Old 26-11-18, 07:03
Administrator

I have contacted the person with the two trees a few times in the past asking him to privatise a load of entries, but he never responds.

I've said this before, but I was very annoyed when a new contact added all my Quaker ancestors to the LDS site and then preached to me about why she had done that. She hadn't told me she was a member of the LDS before this.

Old 05-12-18, 01:36

Whoever I can, so long as there are at least basic accurate details. I use Ancestry, so living people are not displayed, and only a few of my trees are public anyway.

We don't own our relatives, so we shouldn't be surprised or offended to see them appearing on other people's trees. This is a particularly bizarre thing to be offended by for people who spend much of their lives studying other people's relatives (even if they may well also be ours as well).
Old 05-12-18, 09:53

Most of my online trees are private - I have put a limited tree as a public one when fishing for contacts with names like Smith and Brown.
Old 05-12-18, 17:51

My tree is online but private. I am happy to share info if someone asks, but I don't open my tree to anyone as there are people alive on there.

It's so easy to find out about people now though. I do remember being really annoyed when someone contacted me and then added my grandmother to her tree with the wrong place of birth as she assumed she knew better than me!
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire